• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor finds himself agreeing with the Daily Mail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor finds himself agreeing with the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...#ixzz0b5K2ySQm

48% of daily mail voters voted 'No', is this the mindless face of a future Tory Britain ?

Comment

I don't agree with the death penalty on the grounds that if it's wrong to murder people (and I think it is), it isn't doesn't become right when the state does it.

That said I have zero sypathy for the dead bloke who was the author of his own misfortune to a point and the remainder was due (apparently) to ill health - them's the breaks - some people die of heart disease.

What is sickening is the behaviour of Brown. He was happy to have our won boys in blue crsuh any demos and dissent when the Chinese visited, and to allow their henchmen to run "security"; the only reason he's said anything now is that he fears the popular press and media branding him as heartless if he doesn't. If he's so concerned about Human Rights in China, there are a few thousand other cases he ought to be raising.

Not that it would make a difference - why the flip does any sane person think the Chinese would listen to us? Why should they?

Comment

Which bit of that is that you agree with?

The bit about someone who breaks local laws when they travel abroad should expect to receive local punishments? I don't have any issues with that.

Or the bit about the answer to solving the ills of British society is to live in a totalitarian state? It probably would work but here are some downsides with that that I would not be keen on.

Or the bit about the prohibition of recreational narcotics not being effective for the 100 years that it has been tried so what is needed is more prohibition..... Don't even get me started.

Comment

Mental illness, human rights etc

Comment

When I checked this morning, every one of the scores of people who had replied to the BBC's "Have Your Say" were in favour of the guy's execution, and the most forthright expressions of that view had dozens of recommendations.

But checking there just now, one finds:

Have Your Say service not available

We are having serious technical problems with the Have Your Say software which our engineers are working to fix.

We hope to restore the service as soon as possible.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
            Well, well, fancy that
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

Not that it would make a difference - why the flip does any sane person think the Chinese would listen to us? Why should they?
              It's common for drug smuggling Brits whose cases get noticed in the media to be given a pardon by countries that execute drug smugglers. So instead of a death sentence they get life in prison.

However in those cases life means the rest of their life served in a hell hole, not our 8 to 30 years in prisons that get more lax as you come near the end of your sentence.

In addition if the drug smuggling Brit is lucky they may be able after a few years of foreign prison be allowed to serve the rest of their life sentence in a British prison.

One thing that puzzles me is the refusal to allow the relations to bury the body. Surely it saves the Chinese money getting his relations to bury him?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

One thing that puzzles me is the refusal to allow the relations to bury the body. Surely it saves the Chinese money getting his relations to bury him?
                In China they recycle body parts of executed felons for those who need donor organs.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If any of you fckwts knew anything about Bipolar Disorder then perhaps you wouldn't see the situation in the black and white terms you're posting in.

Capital punishment is abhorrent regardless of the circumstances and your obvious prejudice or ignorance of mental health issues is worthy of the deepest despair.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    If any of you fckwts knew anything about Bipolar Disorder then perhaps you wouldn't see the situation in the black and white terms you're posting in.

Capital punishment is abhorrent regardless of the circumstances and your obvious prejudice or ignorance of mental health issues is worthy of the deepest despair.
                    WHS, although even more shameful than the comments on here is the fact that the Daily Mail publishes such hateful and ignorant garbage. Then again, it's only pandering to its hateful and ignorant readers; they're the real problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X