• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'll bet they were glad to have a firearm at home to defend themselves

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll bet they were glad to have a firearm at home to defend themselves

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/8433756.stm

I'm not sure it is a good idea really.

No, they most likely would not - it's not position from which one can defend effectively.

I note here that current firearms ban did not prevent this tradegy. In fact if they were completely banned that people in such positions would use even more horrible weapons - axes for example or hammers.

Tomorrow around 8 people will die. Probably more due to weather - 8 is average road deaths each year, with a lot more wounded. That's 7/7 every week.

Maybe cars should be banned to.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Tomorrow around 8 people will die.
      A lot more than 8 people will die tomorrow (even excluding the effects of weather).

8 is average road deaths each year.
      A lot more than 8 people die on the roads each year in Britain alone.

Comment

No, they most likely would not - it's not position from which one can defend effectively.

I note here that current firearms ban did not prevent this tradegy. In fact if they were completely banned that people in such positions would use even more horrible weapons - axes for example or hammers.

Tomorrow around 8 people will die. Probably more due to weather - 8 is average road deaths each year, with a lot more wounded. That's 7/7 every week.

Agreed. This isn't a unique story. There are enough of these a year where people are stabbed, drowned or beaten to death in the same situation. The fact a gun is used is of little consequence. Interestingly it doesn't mention if it was a licensed firearm or not. Thing that pisses me off is that everytime there is a gun related incident there are calls for licenses etc but 9 times out of 10 an illegal weapon was used so regulation would make no difference.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As a matter of interest, do you think that there would be more, the same, or fewer murders if we relaxed our gun laws (genuine question, I'm not trying to pick a fight)?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            As a matter of interest, do you think that there would be more, the same, or fewer murders if we relaxed our gun laws (genuine question, I'm not trying to pick a fight)?
            I think there will be more involving guns which will bring the situation to the headlines with tabloids and government bashers having a field day, forgetting to mention whether or not the actual total of murders go up or not.

I think the gun may become the weapon of choice but don't think the rate will go up significantly.

Armed robberies however is a different matter altogether. IMO that will go thru the roof.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"the shooting had taken place as the woman dropped the four-year-old off at her former family home."

Sounds very very odd to me. Her solicitor must be terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                "the shooting had taken place as the woman dropped the four-year-old off at her former family home."

Sounds very very odd to me. Her solicitor must be terrible.
                According to the article they only split up 4 weeks ago - not enough time for the parasites to get involved. Most of 'em couldn't answer a letter or return a phone call in 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  According to the article they only split up 4 weeks ago - not enough time for the parasites to get involved. Most of 'em couldn't answer a letter or return a phone call in 4 weeks.
                  Very true they are parasites. But usually they get involved before 1 party moves out. And its usually the man who moves out(usually rightly). But the person who moves out is in a very weak position.

I suspect what happened here was the man was a bully who forced her out. She then took legal advice and told him where he stood. He then did what so many men do and make a terrible decision.

Its a tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Very true they are parasites. But usually they get involved before 1 party moves out. And its usually the man who moves out(usually rightly). But the person who moves out is in a very weak position.

I suspect what happened here was the man was a bully who forced her out. She then took legal advice and told him where he stood. He then did what so many men do and make a terrible decision.

Its a tragedy.
                    Mr Copland has at least one grown-up daughter from a previous relationship. A family friend described him as a "very volatile man".
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X