• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The stopping smoking thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stopping smoking thread

for support, advice, and tips.

I still believe that I am a smoker, albeit one that doesn't smoke - I'm just seeing how long I can go with out one. It's nearly eleven years now

For my ha'penneth the thing that annoyed me most about smoking was being a puppet of the tobacco industry - I hated the fact that I was desperate for a ciggy after a long-haul flight and on arriving at excotic destinations the only thing on my mind was the location of the smoking room!

For those of you thinking of giving up, you have to be "ready" - don't bother if you think you are doing it for the wrong reasons (health, wealth, etc) - you have to want to.

I found nicotine gum v.useful - i liked the fact that I could get a nicotine hit sitting in the office - but it is disgusting stuff and puts off the inev (recommended all the same)

MOST importantly - after a week or two, invest in some GOOD wine - you will be AMAZED at what you can taste!

Bon Chance, and if you decide to go ahead

I packed in for 7 years and started again, smoked for another 2 then stopped for 2 years again, then started again and have now been smoking on and off for another 6.

Intend to give up again some time this year.

Have to be in the right frame of mind first, but this time I won't be starting again.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Champix.

An amazing drug, did not even have to try to give up and never smoked a ciggie since, the odd cuban but never ever wanted to smoke cigs again.

It says keep smoking while you start the stuff and you are thinking this will never work but after about 5 days you are not enjoying smoking, that rush is gone, then you just do not want to smoke anymore after another few days.

The nightmares are really heavy though, I told the girlfriend it was like switching of the lights and going to another world for 8 hours every night.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Champix.

An amazing drug, did not even have to try to give up and never smoked a ciggie since, the odd cuban but never ever wanted to smoke cigs again.

It says keep smoking while you start the stuff and you are thinking this will never work but after about 5 days you are not enjoying smoking, that rush is gone, then you just do not want to smoke anymore after another few days.

The nightmares are really heavy though, I told the girlfriend it was like switching of the lights and going to another world for 8 hours every night.
        I am going to try that next week

Never heard of it before
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post

Never heard of it before
          If you go on the stuff don't blame me

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post

Never heard of it before
            Just for balance,
            http://www.newwaysclinic.com/champix_side_effects.html

I'll try the Allan Carr book plus NRT if/when I get desperate.

Comment

Just bought 800 fags in Luxembourg to see me over New Year cos they're really cheap there (around 25GBP for 200 and petrol was only €1.09 per litre for my car, 98 octane.)

Might give up around mid January when I start a new contract, normally do it when I start new contracts as I never know who smokes and where to go for one. Once that information is obtained then its back to the ciggies.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Every drug has side effects but I would rather take the very very very slim chance I might go fruitloop over the 50% chance that cigaretes would have killed me. I dont want to ge to 50 and look like I am 60, i don't want to get to 60 and know I am not going to get to 70.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Just for balance,
                  http://www.newwaysclinic.com/champix_side_effects.html

I'll try the Allan Carr book plus NRT if/when I get desperate.
                  Sorry, one of the first rules of Alan Carr is that you're not allowed any NRT!
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Used to smoke, never found any real problem in kicking it. Love to say it was down to my superior willpower but for some doubtless chemical reason I was never addicted. I just enjoyed it.

PS Although I do have superior willpower.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X