• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorists hit AGAIN as Government tax grab adds a record 15p a litre to the price of

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorists hit AGAIN as Government tax grab adds a record 15p a litre to the price of

When did they sneak these increases?

----------

Motorists are being warned to brace themselves for a 15p a litre increase in petrol that will push up pump prices to record highs.

It will see the cost of a litre of unleaded soar from 108p to 123p - or nearly £5.60 a gallon.

Petrol will rise by 5p a litre by the spring and a further 5p by the autumn as the cash-strapped Government raises taxes from motorists to pay off its massive debts, said the Petrol Retailers' Association.

Among the tax changes planned or predicted are increases in VAT and fuel duty, the ending of the duty incentive to refiners for the production of biofuel, and tax increases in a snap post-election Budget.

On top of the tax rises, Britain's 33million motorists are also likely to face rises of up to 5p a litre due to increases in market costs.

Taken together that will mean a 15p rise in the cost of a litre of petrol - equivalent to 68p a gallon. Diesel will rise from 110p to 125p a litre 'setting new record highs', said the PRA which represents 6,000 of the UK's 9,000 filling stations.

Unleaded hit a record 119.7p a litre in July 2008 after oil peaked at around US $147 a barrel. It is currently trading at around $79 a barrel.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ive-debts.html

-------

And where is that deflation thingy?

I drive less than 5000 miles a year and I couldn't give a toss about the price of petrol. I mean, I don't get worked up if I spank £40 on a taxi home after a few beers, or say "blimey" when I buy a £100 monthly tube pass.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Good old daily wail tub thumping again!

Doesnt bother me none as it will keep a lot of people off the road.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I have a Fuel card, so my give a sh1t meter has not even registered a flicker!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          I have a Fuel card
          Do you also get food stamps?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Do you also get food stamps?
            In a manner of speaking. They are called "Expenses"!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

...said the Petrol Retailers' Association.

The whole "story" is a bunch of speculation about things that "may" (or may not) happen, published by the Daily Fail on behalf of a trade association which would doubtless love to be able to sneak its own increases through and blame them on somebody else.

If petrol duty goes up by tuppence and the price at the pump goes up by tenpence, they still won't admit that they're creaming extra profit off the top. Rubbish like this is just to soften the public up ready for the hit.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                And where is that deflation thingy?
                On all the things you don't want/need to buy...

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Optimistic but sadly unlikely.

In most of the country people have no real option other than to use their cars as they either have no public transport alternative or the duration or cost (or both) of the alternatives are prohibitive.

I went for a meeting in central London the other week and drove to Stanmore then took the tube in exactly the same way I did last spring. Drive park and tube still worked out >£40 cheaper and took no longer than the train alternative door to door.

The lousy public transport alternatives in this country all but force people onto the roads, it's a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Fuel inflation is factored into everything as it needs to be delivered: food and other stuff, with a multipler on top - every pence of fuel increase will result in more than a pence in final product.

Comment

Working...
                    X