• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Y2K - 10 years after

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y2K - 10 years after

£1000 a day? £2500 to be on call? Poised waiting for 'that call' at 30 seconds past midnight? What were you up to 10 years ago?

Me? I'd delivered a new application in July and then spent about 3 months bedding it in. From October to the end of the year I had pretty much nothing to do and everyone else seemed pre-occupied with the "great panic". New Year's eve the wife was on call so she drove (and earnt) while I just got drunk.

I do remember our Y2K manager demanding post-mortem reports early in January only to be told by several people that he could go and "f**k right off" because "we have got two years of real work to be catching up on now".
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

I was sitting watching 8 servers in Birmingham bored to tears. So much so that while p8ssing about with the replication of my new Palm V i managed to replciate and empty database over my full one F******K!!!!!

Servers were fine.. Palm V about as much use as a blank piece of paper!!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We were all saved by B'Liar's 20,000 bug busters.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

£2500 for two hours work in the Netherlands. Desk had candles and two mobile phones as reserve. Spent the two hours at a make-do office party.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Told the clients that everything would be ok and not to worry about it.

Jan 1st was a Sat, so our office was closed for the weekend anyway, and I'm sure Monday 3rd Jan was a Bank Holiday in lieu.

So we rolled in to work on the 4th, and by then it had all blown over.

No need on our part to charge silly money for something that didn't happen or may happen.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            Told the clients that everything would be ok and not to worry about it.

Jan 1st was a Sat, so our office was closed for the weekend anyway, and I'm sure Monday 3rd Jan was a Bank Holiday in lieu.

So we rolled in to work on the 4th, and by then it had all blown over.

No need on our part to charge silly money for something that didn't happen or may happen.
            WHS. We started 2 years previously, got dedicated test systems in, et cetera et cetera. and come the bug day we simply knew that we wouldn't get called out in the early hours of the 1st.

The boss was the only one getting standby money, but he got that year round anyway (quite a good number if you could swing it; it all added up).
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

We were the masters of the universe then

Comment

Was a permie then. Got paid £1000 to turn up at 10am. I left at noon after having had a free curry for lunch (all be it early). Lovely.
                Loopy Loo

Comment

That night I watched Blair in all his pomp and glory at the Dome on TV. He was doing an auld lang syne holding hands with a very unimpressed-looking queen.

But at the stroke of midnight I was probably watching Mr Methane do the count-down in farts, with puffs of talcumn powder from his up-turned arse.

Comment

I was working for a public sector client.

We got bugger all.

The supplier charged £10ks for loads of cover, then crossed their fingers and didn't provide any.

The bastards got away with it because we had spent the preceding 15 months testing and fixing the sub-suppliers software.

I was so naïve in those days.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X