• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today's no sh*t Sherlock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's no sh*t Sherlock

UK government wastes billions, MPs warn

From The Register

That's governments for you
    By eGov monitor Weekly
    Published Thursday 8th December 2005 08:49 GMT

Efforts to improve efficiency and value for money across government are being undermined by poor project management and leadership skills, MPs have warned.

A hard-hitting report by the cross-party House of Commons' Public Accounts Committee (PAC) this week said government departments are wasting billions of pounds of public money by failing to learn from each other and repeating mistakes time and again.

The government is signed up to the recommendations of last year’s Gershon Review, which suggested £20bn could be shaved from public spending through new technologies and the efficient use of resources and manpower.

Overall the Committee, which scrutinises public spending, said that just a two per cent improvement in the use of resources could save the public purse £8bn a year, the equivalent of 15 new hospitals or 2p off the rate of basic tax. (Chico comment: Gordon Brown are you reading this?)

But, following a review of some of its reports of the past decade, which have made recommendations to Government on the efficient use of public money, the PAC concluded only limited progress is being made.

In particular it found that the take-up of new technologies that could reduce bureaucracy and increase efficiency has been slow.

It also expressed concern that while individual departments have taken on board the Committee’s past recommendations, these lessons have not been shared across Whitehall.

Committee chairman Edward Leigh said the report "suggests a failure by departments to learn from each other’s experience. Basic errors are repeated time and again, despite fine words and earnest assurances to this committee.

“Many public services are chronically marred by deadening complexity and bureaucracy. There is a continuing lack of leadership and drive. And government departments still disregard common and well-publicised pitfalls when they approach projects.”

The PAC made seven recommendations to government on how it could improve future performance. These include better planning, reducing complexity and bureaucracy, more commercial awareness, tackling fraud and improving public service productivity.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    We are turning into the Yanks, all talk and no action!!!!
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

A historic moment for this site as I agree with a Chico post.

Its depressing to read of the billions they are wasting, why cant I waste billions for them instead ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
      why cant I waste billions for them instead ?
      Do you play golf with the "captains" of industry and Govt?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        Do you play golf with the "captains" of industry and Govt?
        Well perhaps if the next incoming Government is Tory then I just might be in with a wee chance.

If so you will be duely invited to my extravagent champagne parties on my Royal Yacht, The HMS Offshore.

But only if you say nice things about me.
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 8 December 2005, 16:39.

Comment

I'm about to leave the cosy confines of permie-dom in a certain NDPB.

They are in the process of spending £3/4M+ on the IT for a commercial service that there is no incentive for anyone to actually pay money for.

Prior to this they spent over £2M on a bespoke IT system that turned in 2.5 yrs late and at least £1M over budget.

Now being shafted over a barrel by the IT services partner ( one of the biggies but not EDS thank god ) because "we arnt making any money on the contract so you are going to have to pay us more." Yes, the contract allows them to do that. I think the original was drafted on the back of a fag packet.

This is just one of the smaller government bodies...... if they can screw up like that imagine what a central department is capable of
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
            I'm about to leave the cosy confines of permie-dom in a certain NDPB.

They are in the process of spending £3/4M+ on the IT for a commercial service that there is no incentive for anyone to actually pay money for.

Prior to this they spent over £2M on a bespoke IT system that turned in 2.5 yrs late and at least £1M over budget.

Now being shafted over a barrel by the IT services partner ( one of the biggies but not EDS thank god ) because "we arnt making any money on the contract so you are going to have to pay us more." Yes, the contract allows them to do that. I think the original was drafted on the back of a fag packet.

This is just one of the smaller government bodies...... if they can screw up like that imagine what a central department is capable of
            Music to my ears, Central Department here comes my invoice !

Comment

Sorry Chico, I thought you were right up the arse of the sceptics!

Have they done something to irk you?

Comment

Yep pour taxpayer's money down the drain. Thats what riles me!!!
                Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
                  Yep pour taxpayer's money down the drain. Thats what riles me!!!
                  'Show me the coin used for paying the tax.' They brought him a denarius, and he asked them, 'Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?' 'Caesar's,' they replied. Then he said to them, 'Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's.'"

Comment

Working...
                  X