• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Including logos and links to YourClientCo in your own marketing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Including logos and links to YourClientCo in your own marketing

I have just given MyCompany web site a makeover and included logos and links to MyClients, described the projects I've been involved in and done similar for the software tools used.

Have I just laid myself open to attack for infringing copyright?

Do I need permission from MyClients before mentioning them in my marketing?

Are pictures of buildings included in this, ie. if I take a picture of MyClients headquarters and include it, is this copyrighted?

Any other advice for this naif web site developer/marketeer?

cheers

We've done this one before. I think that the consensus was that it was potential trouble.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      We've done this one before. I think that the consensus was that it was potential trouble.
      I kind of thought that might be the case, shame as I think it looks cool. Do you have the linky for the prev thread please?

Comment

There is this one.

I don't because my clients want to keep a low a profile as possible.

It really depends. Larger clients are more likely to say no than smaller. On the other hand smaller clients are less likely to impress.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          There is this one.

Larger clients are more likely to say no than smaller.
          Methinks larger clients probably won't get to know about it unless someone tells them, if someone does tell them it will go to their legal dept, more likely than not they will initially write a letter asking for removal of the logo.

Decide what the risk is - I think I would risk it and only worry if I get a letter from them.

On the other hand, if you have done sterling work for the client and they are willing to write you a reference or testimonial ask them to put their logo into their testimonial.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Thanks for links and advice. I think on balance I will go for 'worked for worlds largest vendor of carbonated beverages' rather than Coke approach and skip logos too. Happy new year

Comment

Logos are more likely to run you into trouble because you'll probably be breaching their copyright.

Unless you were working confidentially, company names and links to websites should be OK - if anyone tries to stop you doing that, I'd be interested in hearing their justification.

Comment

I beg to differ from the concensus.

Unless you are bound by a specific confidentiality agreement, then there is nothing to prevent you from including details of the work that you have undertaken for any named client. (the exceptions are usually the obvious ones - government work on sensitive material; mergers and acquisitions where the project itself is stock market sensitive).

The client's logo is usually copyrighted - however,
                - most companies now have a specific policy on the use of their brand names and images on their website that you can check. Usually this allows you to reproduce the image, provided that you don't charge for it, imply endorsement, or lie
                - even if they don't have a policy, the implications of using the image are limited. Bear in mind that every day the media use and re-use brand images from hundreds of companies without seeking explicit consent to do so. Provided that the use you have made is factually accurate, and not likely to damage their commercial position or reputation, the limit of what they can do will be to ask you to remove it.

So, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
                Plan A is located just about here.
                If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

IANAL but:

Logo is certainly copyrighted and you'd need permission to use it.

Link to their site and/or company name are factual things that ain't covered by copyright, however you might be in breach of your contract's confidentiality clause (even if it ends as such clause may survive contract).

Comment

I'd suggest you do it, and then remove it if asked. They can't realistically go straight to suing you, normally they'd issue a formal letter warning you they will sue.

Is a link to a logo on their own site a copyright infringement? You haven't copied the image, just typed in a path to a place they make a copy publicly accessible...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X