• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If proper firearms were legal in the UK...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If proper firearms were legal in the UK...

would you... (poll to follow)
    Yes I would - get the bad guy and come out of it alive
    40.00%
    No, I am a coward who will beg mercy from killers
    10.00%
    I'll curse my bodyguard AndyW who's too busy renewing his firearms license
    50.00%

I already do

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
      I already do

btw "proper firearms" are semi-automatic handguns like 9mm Glock, MP5 PDW (that's personal defense weapon), M4 carbines etc...

Don't shoot cute fluffy critters with it though

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

btw "proper firearms" are semi-automatic handguns like 9mm Glock, MP5 PDW (that's personal defense weapon), M4 carbines etc...

Don't shoot cute fluffy critters with it though
        You mean like one of these:

http://www.sect5.co.uk/stock.php

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
          You mean like one of these:

http://www.sect5.co.uk/stock.php
          Aye

Comment

No I would not. The alligator pit works fine just for me...

pretty...

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as11-e.htm
            Last edited by scooterscot; 1 January 2010, 23:29.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

As I'm not a drug dealer, the probability of anyone trying to kill me is so low that it would not justify the cost of a gun, however cheap.

If I was offered one free, I would refused, because I would still have to find a safe place to store it.

If I were offered one free with a safe to store it in, I would refuse, as the expected utility would be below alternative uses for the space.

Maybe one of those new-fangled devices with fingerprint recognition would be a less onerous responsibility, but on balance I still think the negatives outweight the positives sufficiently that I would turn down a free one. (If I lived somewhere that I could actually shoot recreationally that might tip the balance.)

I can see there might be circumstances (other than being a drug dealer) where some people genuinely feel at risk, so I do think we should have a right to own guns. I've not looked into it, but I read somewhere a recommendation for a suitable weapon for beginners, which came with a laser sight. I've always been under the impression that handguns are much harder to fire accurately than is portrayed in the movies, so it's kind of scary to think that now hitting a target is no more difficult than pointing a laser pointer.

Comment

Under the law Our EEC buddies have the same rights.

Let's arm all the poles and other recent arrivals from Hungary, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Romania, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Serbia-Montenegro. at least we will be comforted by the knowledge that most of these are quite proficient in the use of firearms, what with the fighting and ethnic cleansing of the not too distant past
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  First thing to remember with a pistol is not to turn it on its side when you are firing it.
                  Remember seeing something on telly about that. Its the gangsta rapper way of doing it and all the South Central homeboyz shoot that way to look cool.

Has the drawback though that they generally don't hit what they were aiming at and 'pop a cap' in a passer-by instead.

To answer the original Q though, no, a gun is not something i'd be interested in owning. I keep a claw hammer handy for any burglary moments and will take my chances with that.
                  Last edited by Durbs; 2 January 2010, 10:02.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    First thing to remember with a pistol is not to turn it on its side when you are firing it.

That irritates the crap out of me every time I see it, fliping amateurs.

Whilst the likes of Elmer Keith might be able to hit stuff at 500 yards, the rest of us are lucky to be able to hit the inside of a barn...
                    The same people hold a torch like a dagger above their heads, the British way is to hold it in the same way as you would hold your cock.

Bloody foreigners.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X