• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: £15 extra on car fines to help victims of domestic violence and sex attacks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: £15 extra on car fines to help victims of domestic violence and sex attacks

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6973689.ece

'Drivers who are found guilty of minor motoring offences face a £15 surcharge to help victims of domestic violence and other violent crime.

Details of the new tax were slipped out before Christmas in a Parliamentary answer. The “victims’ surcharge” will be added to fixed penalty tickets given out by police.

Anyone who breaks parking regulations, contravenes a stop sign or speeds will be forced to pay the penalty. It could also be levied when a vehicle has dirty windows. Ministers say that they want to extend the payment to all types of fixed penalties.
    '

have a read of the Reader's comments to that article, excellent.

Milan.

Seems fair to me
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      It could also be levied when a vehicle has dirty windows. .
      Ah, the good old Window Tax returns.

Time to brick up my rear passenger windows then.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

It's not going to happen. The government have run out of time.

Comment

Domestic violence is rarely prosecuted and when it is the fine is much less than motoring offences. It the government picking on easy targets again.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I was just saying to my wife Jemima, as we sat eating our organic muesli and drinking fairtrade decaf with soya milk over breakfast, that this article in the Guardian did rather poke our consciences somewhat.

Jemima summed it up perfectly.

She said :

"Giles, you must remember that driving is not a victimless crime. By exceeding the time limit the other day when you went to Oxfam to get the Winterval Presents, you deprived a battered woman (or man) the chance to park. That will now result in them getting a beating from their partner for your thoughtless actions."

I was beside myself with guilt, and wanted to rush out to the police station to hand myself in immediately.

Jemima said that I was being silly, since the law had not been passed yet, but she said perhaps I could donate £15 to the Donkey Sanctuary on page 5, as that would be a fair recompense for my mindless middle class behaviour.

So we sat together with tears running down our eyes, as we sponsored "Sam", the donkey. Even the kids were crying and young Justin ran to his bedroom to strip his bed of blankets, and they are having great fun making a "Donkey Care Parcel" with their toys.

Afterwards, we sung the Red Flag together and cleaned the family 2CV.

It's good to be holier than the rest of the street. Not in a religious way obviously like the dreaded you know whos, apart from the other one that wear the body tent things (as Justin calls them..tsk..tsk) which is ok of course.
            Last edited by Board Game Geek; 2 January 2010, 10:28.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              It's not going to happen. The government have run out of time.
              It's already happened...
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

It could also be levied when a vehicle has dirty windows.

Milan.
                Journalism at it's best! It's been an offence to drive without being able to see where you are going for as long as I can remember.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  It's already happened...
                  I read it that currently people who get a conviction get hit with the extra charge but that to extend this to fixed penalty notices will require changes to the law that the government don't have the capacity to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    I read it that currently people who get a conviction get hit with the extra charge but that to extend this to fixed penalty notices will require changes to the law that the government don't have the capacity to do.
                    I read it as they'd already done it by statutory instrument. I can't be arsed to look it up in Hansard to work out which one of us is right though...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X