• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Citizenship Test: Would You Get In?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Citizenship Test: Would You Get In?

Do you qualify to be a UK Citizen?

Take The Official Practice Citizenship Test (hosted by the Stationery Office) and post your results here.

I got 78%, so I get in by the skin of my teeth

I passed the real one some years ago, they did not tell the total score but I am pretty sure I got at least one wrong - something about %-tage of catholics etc.

Comment

We need tests, designed by psychologists to catch liars, that check if people believe in democracy, rational laws, separation of religion and state, equality for women, and individual freedom consistent with special responsibility.

This test is total and utter rubbish. It is no wonder our society is being dragged backwards.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I am a citizen. The question is, does the test pass or fail?
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

What utter bobbins!

What exactly is this trying to test?

Oh and I got 58%

I really don't see how knowing how many children in this country are under the age of 19, is relevant to being a good citizen.

Or have I got the wrong end of the carrot as usual
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

67% and failed - shall I leave now?

Where can I go?

I know, back to my homeland on the Isle of Wight

Comment

Oops, 63%. Will they deport me somewhere nice ?

Comment

That is a general knowledge test. Who cares what year divorce became legal for women when it was over 100 years ago?

Why should you know to 2 significant figures how many under 18s there are?

The Council for Europe thingie changes its name every few years and there's loads of such bodies. How are you supposed to keep up?

Why should one care what other groups have the right to vote?

And yes, I failed.

You have failed the practice citizenship test.

Questions answered correctly: 16 out of 24 (67%)

Time taken: 02 minutes 48 seconds
                Questions I got wrong:

SPOILER ALERT:

¦
                ¦
                V

¦
                ¦
                V

¦
                ¦
                V

¦
                ¦
                V

¦
                ¦
                V

¦
                ¦
                V

¦
                ¦
                V

Many job applications will require a covering letter and...
                they said CV. I said NI number (or proof of ID). When did they last apply for a permie job? They almost always want the NI number, frequently want proof of ID and do NOT want a CV, they want an application form filled in. I say THEY are wrong.

In which year did married women get the right to divorce their husband?
                Who cares when the most recent option was 127 years ago, FFS?

Adults who have been unemployed for six months are usually required to join New Deal if they wish to continue receiving benefit.
                They are wrong.
                a) it depends upon your age;
                b) you can opt in to New Deal at any time, if they agree. I was offered this at six months.
                c) it was replaced in October 2009.

The number of children and young people up to the age of 19 in the UK is...
                WTF would anyone know this to 2 significant figures?

The percentage of people in the UK in 2001 who said they were Muslims was...
                Why is that in the test?

A quango is...
                They have SO got that one wrong! It's an acronym, you bastards, look it up in the dictionary.

Which TWO of the following can vote in all UK public elections?
                I didn't care much until I saw the right answers. Now that I have, I disagree with who can vote. I was happier ignorant.

Schools must be open...
                Who cares? A better question might be "Under what circumstances can children not go to school?"

What a load of bollocks.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The XXXXs have a fun two part test which had the pass line upped to a quite ridiculous level last year. So, now you have to be quite academic to achieve citizenship. The language test is set at a level 90% of natives would fail and the culture test, 70% of natives would fail. Well according to Secondary School exam results.

For extra giggles: external to EU immigrants have to attend 85% of language lessons. Many, realising they have not a hope of passing, they're just not academic enough, now fill the first two module classes, and don't bother coming for the last three weeks of each term.

Someone might suggest that making the exams a little more relevant might be an idea, but hey, it's politicians driving a clown car, so throwing money about seems the least destructive option.

So, they're now on about offering money so people will attend... Amusingly they interviewed a lady originally from Iraq on TV, she had perfect diction, but was saying she needed extra money to make up for loss of earnings so as to attend the classes to pass the exam.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    What exactly is this trying to test?
                    The test was introduced because lots of bigots (Daily Mail readers usually) had a bee in their bonnet about people being granted British Citizenship when they didn't know enough about "How to be British". The test supposedly examines whether a person seeking British Citizenship has a basic understanding of the social and political structures of the nation, such as would be expected of a person who is able to live in harmony with the rest of society and make a useful contribution thereto.

Oddly enough, those same Daily Mail readers are most unlikely to be able to achieve an adequate score in the test, as their view of the world is constructed from a number of half-truths and downright falsehoods, primarily gleaned from the pages of said "newspaper"

I think we can safely assume that those who criticise the test in strident tones, yet are unwilling to post their score, didn't do too well on it

(Those who criticise the test because much of it is nonsense are fine, whatever their score.)
                    Last edited by NickFitz; 2 January 2010, 16:25.

Comment

Working...
                    X