• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GSM cracked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSM cracked

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8429233.stm

https://har2009.org/program/attachme...cking.Nohl.pdf

He makes some good points about the not so wise use of GSM as a secure medium, which it is often considered. I remember listening to analogue users back in the early 90's on the scanner.. people would give all sort of details without a 2nd thought.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8429233.stm

https://har2009.org/program/attachme...cking.Nohl.pdf

He makes some good points about the not so wise use of GSM as a secure medium, which it is often considered. I remember listening to analogue users back in the early 90's on the scanner.. people would give all sort of details without a 2nd thought.
    I built hardware to crack it on the fly years ago. This is an opensource technique using commodity PCs. So opensores PC tech has caught up to hardware tech of a good few years ago. This is not surprising, it's called Moores Law.

It is built into many key systems that you have to set key length depending on the number of years you wish to keep whatever secure.

GSM hasn't done this and is now becoming commonly vulnerable. Give it another year and you'll be able to do it on your videocards. A couple more and it'll be the CPU on it's own.

I do though like the distributed nature: there's something to be said about the plausible deniability inherent in such a system.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I seem to remember hearing that GSM had opted to use a less secure algorithm than the best available at the time. Something to do with it being easy enough for the powers that be to infiltrate but beyond the ken of everyone else. Poor forward planning...........again.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        I seem to remember hearing that GSM had opted to use a less secure algorithm than the best available at the time. Something to do with it being easy enough for the powers that be to infiltrate but beyond the ken of everyone else. Poor forward planning...........again.
        The algorithms are weak, but for extra giggles have deliberate back doors. Many cells have no encryption anyway either because the technicians made a mistake and/or were told not to switch it on during set-up or the service provider bought the cheapest option for the base-station and it doesn't have the capability anyway...
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

people would give all sort of details without a 2nd thought.
          You don't need to listen to people's phone calls for that these days, just look at their Facebook page!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            You don't need to listen to people's phone calls for that these days, just look at their Facebook page!
            You are not wrong there. That is a strange phenomenon. My kids coaxed me into joining a few weeks ago. Since then I have received offers of friendship from complete strangers (surreal enough in itself for me!), with no more connection to me than some very tenuous 'friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend' link.
            Lot of desperate people out there........and in here come to think of it!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              You are not wrong there. That is a strange phenomenon. My kids coaxed me into joining a few weeks ago. Since then I have received offers of friendship from complete strangers (surreal enough in itself for me!), with no more connection to me than some very tenuous 'friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend' link.
              Lot of desperate people out there........and in here come to think of it!
              It's called networking.

Though why your 13 year old nephew and a mate's 70 year old parent want to see what you get up to is beyond me.

Just remember to remove your full birth date and not advertise when you go on holiday leaving the house empty.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

...He makes some good points about the not so wise use of GSM as a secure medium, which it is often considered. I remember listening to analogue users back in the early 90's on the scanner.. people would give all sort of details without a 2nd thought.
                I didn't know GSM was "secure", so I've always assumed I'm being overheard.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I didn't know GSM was "secure", so I've always assumed I'm being overheard.
                  Compared to landline telephone calls using the GSM network is like taking fortknox to an ATM machine, it's fairly secure using multiple encrypted RF channels (80 of them I think) for a any mobile to mobile call.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X