• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nixxon Williams Or Uptons - Thoughts Please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nixxon Williams Or Uptons - Thoughts Please

Has anyone used both of these guys before? Is there much of a difference??

I have to say that Uptons have been so so - Very very quiet - When I ask I get answers but they dont seem proactive about making sure I am structuring my business correctly...

Can I expect any better from Nixon williams

Or do all accountants just expect you to ask them rather then them advising you on how to minimise tax??

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    Has anyone used both of these guys before? Is there much of a difference??

I have to say that Uptons have been so so - Very very quiet - When I ask I get answers but they dont seem proactive about making sure I am structuring my business correctly...

Can I expect any better from Nixon williams

Or do all accountants just expect you to ask them rather then them advising you on how to minimise tax??
    I think you understand the situation perfectly. These guys all tend to promise a lot and deliver very little unless prompted. Do all your own research and just ask the bean counter for confirmation of your own findings would be my recommendation to you.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Wasn't all that impressed with Nixon Williams to be honest and I dumped them after a couple of months plagued with annoying errors (e.g. ignoring my specific instructions that certain invoices were to US clients and therefore outside the scope of UK VAT but then finding they had been included in my flat-rate turnover for the purposes of my VAT calculation).

Most of the mistakes seemed to come down to them simply not reading my emails properly and to be honest if there is one thing I want in an accountant, its attention to detail!

I ended up doing my own books (online, with FreeAgent) with a bit of advice from my Dad (a tax accountant) and haven't looked back. If you do go this route though, do things properly. Spend a lot of time learning the rules, learn the basics of double-entry accounting and if you still aren't sure, pay an accountant at the end of the year to double-check things for you. Don't be half-arsed about it. Take pride in your bookkeeping.
      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 3 January 2010, 17:38.

Comment

Working...
      X