• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You're gonna love this...: Public sector pay races ahead in recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're gonna love this...: Public sector pay races ahead in recession

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6974029.ece

'Public sector workers earn 7% more on average than their peers in the private sector — a pay gulf that has more than doubled since the recession began.

Official figures show that staff employed by the state are enjoying bigger pay rises, working fewer hours and receiving pensions worth up to three times as much as those in the private sector.

Civil servants, National Health Service staff, council officials and other public sector workers have enjoyed a “golden age” under Labour, according to an investigation by The Sunday Times.

'

when I were a lad, I was led to believe that public sector pay was not as good as private sector, but the public sector pensions were better, seems the contempory public sector people have succeeded to reverse the pay situation

good on them and why not ?

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    [url]

Milan.
    No not good on them. From my experience 90% of them in these useless government agencies are incompetent workshy argumentative twits who probably spend more time arguing and moaning about their wages than they do doing anything useful. Most of the depts can be run with 20% of the staff and budget!

[/Rant over]

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      who probably spend more time arguing and moaning about their wages than they do doing anything useful.
      Most of them still think they are underpaid - they've got no concept of the real world where people are taking pay cuts just to keep their jobs - and half of those still lose them anyway...

Comment

Presumably you will have no problems if taxes go up further to pay for it then, given that the increases in public sector expenditure (which have gone mostly on pay) has not been properly funded (i.e. we have been borrowing the money) Sooner or later that gap will have to be plugged.

Comment

I've got an idea: increase tax on public sector workers to plug the gap in funding public sector pensions...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I've got an idea: increase tax on public sector workers to plug the gap in funding public sector pensions...
            I like it, give them a 5% rise then clobber them with 10% extra tax.

I have a tax inspector mate who was moaning about the fact he may only get a 1% rise over the next year, I wonder how he would cope with a 60% pay cut followed by the sack 5 days before Christmas?

Talk about out of touch.
            Last edited by gingerjedi; 3 January 2010, 19:15.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Official figures show that staff employed by the state are enjoying bigger pay rises
              That's news to me.

Same daily rate for the last 5 years, and I have more responsibility.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                That's news to me.

Surely "staff" is a keyword in that stat?

Comment

when I were a lad, I was led to believe that public sector pay was not as good as private sector, but the public sector pensions were better, seems the contempory public sector people have succeeded to reverse the pay situation
                  When I were a lad, lower pay was a given but it was seen as a acceptable trade off for job security and a solid index linked pension. After years of moaning about the pay and lack of expense accounts and company cars, my father retired at 55 and did very nicely indeed out of it.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    That's news to me.

This may explain some of it:

He said the higher average pay of public sector workers was partly due to the fact that many cleaning jobs and other low-paid public sector work had been outsourced to the private sector.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X