PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best Doctor Who?

MrMark
3rd January 2010, 22:15
Doctor?

Halo Jones
3rd January 2010, 22:20
I only really remeber David T :laugh

VectraMan
3rd January 2010, 22:24
Peter Cushing.

MrMark
3rd January 2010, 22:25
Could be just my age, but I thought the 70s were a golden age for Dr Who adventures. They've done well to try and make the Daleks scary again, but they were really something back then. Pertwee followed by Tom Baker were class acts too - I doubt if they were around (and young enough) today, they'd be considered for the role. Still, Tenant did a fine job, let's now see how the boy does.

MrMark
3rd January 2010, 22:27
Peter Cushing.

GAH! I knew I'd missed someone. (and possibly someone else on film).

Still, in real life the real Doctor is Bernard Cribbens, didn't you know?

BolshieBastard
4th January 2010, 00:10
Cant belief people think that clown Tom Baker was the best Doctor (anyone want a jellybaby, FFS!)!

Got to be the first and original, William Hartnell. Grumpy old twat that he was, just like a real doctor.

norrahe
4th January 2010, 00:13
Someone missed out Paul McGann as in the failed film version Dr.W

norrahe
4th January 2010, 00:14
I enjoyed John Pertwee.

BolshieBastard
4th January 2010, 00:15
Someone missed out Paul McGann as in the failed film version Dr.W

Well it was only one less than 90 minute 'appearance' as The Doctor. Hardly counts I'd say.

Platypus
4th January 2010, 02:41
Best assistant? Sarah Jane Smith :D

Loved her when I was 12, love her still :happy

Although I admit, I'd push her out of bed for Billie Piper :D

stek
4th January 2010, 09:51
Let's not forget;

Rowan Atkinson
Jim Broadbent
Hugh Grant
Richard E. Grant
and
Joanna Lumley

as the Doctors in 'The Curse of the Fatal Death'

And Jonathan Price as the best Master ever - I'm sure he started the 'Muhahaha' here before Dr Evil...

Dalek Bumps!

VectraMan
4th January 2010, 09:54
Nicola Bryant.

Nicola "baps" Bryant, to give her her proper title.;)

Bagpuss
4th January 2010, 10:49
What about Peter Cushing and his assistant Bernard Cribins?

Lockhouse
4th January 2010, 11:26
It's definitely an age thing. I went for Patrick Troutface as he's my era but I saw one of his episodes a couple of months ago and to say "it's not aged well" would be very kind indeed.

Tingles
4th January 2010, 11:32
Hold on...

There's been 12 incarnations (including Cushing) - isn't that the limit?

norrahe
4th January 2010, 11:47
Best assistant? Sarah Jane Smith :D

Loved her when I was 12, love her still :happy

Although I admit, I'd push her out of bed for Billie Piper :D

Billie Piper was terrible, and don't get me started on Catherine Tate.

I'm looking forward to the doctor not falling for all of his assistants (thankfully we're shot of Russell T Davies, and maybe Stephen Moffat will redeem things).

stingman123
4th January 2010, 11:59
Billie Piper was terrible, and don't get me started on Catherine Tate.

I'm looking forward to the doctor not falling for all of his assistants (thankfully we're shot of Russell T Davies, and maybe Stephen Moffat will redeem things).

I hope so, that last episode was absolute tulip! Easily the worst episode since the comeback

NotAllThere
4th January 2010, 12:17
<anorak on>The Cushing films were non-canonical. <anorak off>.

I think we should ditch the whole Doctor Who and start again with Doctor's Daughter. :tongue

But I think things will improve with Moffat. Two of his stories ( Empty Child/Doctor Dances and The Girl in the Fireplace) have won Hugo awards. The other ones he did were good too: Blink, the Library.

Bagpuss
4th January 2010, 12:34
Bernard Cribbins Dr Who assistant man and boy, 'ardest job in the world

suityou01
4th January 2010, 12:41
I enjoyed John Pertwee.

:emb

Pogle
4th January 2010, 12:58
<anorak on>The Cushing films were non-canonical. <anorak off>.

I think we should ditch the whole Doctor Who and start again with Doctor's Daughter. :tongue

But I think things will improve with Moffat. Two of his stories ( Empty Child/Doctor Dances and The Girl in the Fireplace) have won Hugo awards. The other ones he did were good too: Blink, the Library.

That's exactly what Mr P said said to me - and I consider him the fount of all things Whovian.

The best Dr seems to be the one you grew up with and for many years it was Baker for me with Sarah Jane and Jo being my favorite companions.

However I think Tennet and Catherine Tate tops them.
I didn't know anything about Catherine Tate when she joined the series and was a bit skeptical, but really enjoyed her performances and liked the fact that there was no romance there and she was more of an equal than the others. She also had some really good lines.
If you watch some of the old shows the Doctor can be cringingly patronising to his female companions - even Romana, who was a Time Lord too.

I liked what I saw of Matt Smith and the trailers look good ( The weeping angels are back) so much to look forward to :yay:

PinkPoshRat
4th January 2010, 15:16
The new Doctor looks like a gimp

Durbs
4th January 2010, 15:55
The new Doctor looks like a gimp

I thought he looked a bit like a younger version of HAB's avatar but i'll reserve judgement until after the first episode.

AlfredJPruffock
4th January 2010, 18:29
As far as assistants go - my vote is for Martha Jones aka Freema Agyeman- her bravado and determination was superbly demonstrated in The Last of the TimeLords - a fantastic performance.

That said Catherine Tates performance in The Fires of Pompei was remarkable.

IMHO - the best episode since the show was re-launched - The Parting of the Ways with Chris Ecclestone and Billie Piper .

Bagpuss
4th January 2010, 18:48
That's exactly what Mr P said said to me - and I consider him the fount of all things Whovian.

Did he then ask you for some more peas Norma?

norrahe
4th January 2010, 19:59

Oi, BP, NO!!!!!!

:spank:

Pogle
5th January 2010, 06:25

OH my, Bagpuss thinks I'M sad :rollin:

Run along and play with your mouse organ dear.