• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Worklife Company: "I'm sad to go but its easier in Dubai"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Worklife Company: "I'm sad to go but its easier in Dubai"

Article in todays Mail on Sunday - Financial Mail "The Enterprise Zone" section pages 62 and 63...

For Lynne Copp, the debt crisis in Dubai is less of a problem than the lack of Government support for businesses in the UK.

She is moving her coaching and consultancy firm, The Worklife Company, from Marlborough, Wiltshire, to the emirate....
    I can't find the article online - sorry.

Searching for this company on the web seems to show this is either a one man band or a husband and wife company at the most.

But this confuses me. Other threads on CUK on incorporating a one man band seem to imply that a company located outside of the jurisdiction of where most of the work is performed is still liable for taxes in the country where the work is performed - correct me if I'm wrong but if this is true how does Lynne Copp really believe she is going to escape UK tax?
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Is it all about the tax? Maybe it's cheaper to live in Dubai. Definitely sunnier.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
      Article in todays Mail on Sunday - Financial Mail "The Enterprise Zone" section pages 62 and 63...

I can't find the article online - sorry.

Searching for this company on the web seems to show this is either a one man band or a husband and wife company at the most.

But this confuses me. Other threads on CUK on incorporating a one man band seem to imply that a company located outside of the jurisdiction of where most of the work is performed is still liable for taxes in the country where the work is performed - correct me if I'm wrong but if this is true how does Lynne Copp really believe she is going to escape UK tax?
      Maybe she really is going to perform most of the work from Dubai. Even if in practice most of her clients are in the UK, it might still pass. OTOH if the sum total of your "international consulting" is to fly out every Monday to Brussels and park your bum on the same seat all week every week, you are less likely to get away with claiming that you are running a business based elsewhere.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Well if she turns up in the UK week in week out she's liable for UK tax.

Some people try that on, but if they catch you, you'll pay penalties as well as back tax, on top of any tax paid in Dubai. Basically you're taxed where you do the work. If you work for a company and satisfy tax residency rules, then the company and you for that matter will have to pay UK tax, for that work you are doing.

Any company that employs anyone in the UK has to register in the UK.

Same rules apply just about everywhere. A few UK bods try to tax themsleves in the UK when they really work in Germany and then end up with a huge bill.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Some people try that on, but if they catch you, you'll pay penalties as well as back tax, on top of any tax paid in Dubai. Basically you're taxed where you do the work. If you work for a company and satisfy tax residency rules, then the company and you for that matter will have to pay UK tax, for that work you are doing.

Same rules apply just about everywhere. A few UK bods try to tax themsleves in the UK when they really work in Germany and then end up with a huge bill.
          I used to work from home 2 days a week, and 3 days in Germany - where did I 'do the work'.

Comment

Strictly you need to divide it up i.e. you did work in the UK and Germany, and it is complicated, providing separate P&L accounts. For that reason companies on borders don't allow working at home if you live over the border eg Switzerland. If you're working at home though the tax authority would have to get wind of it. It is actually laid out in the DTA. You have to be careful though some contractors working in Germany taxed themselves in the UK and got severely clobbered. The crucial point is do you qualify for tax residency whilst working, if you did a 3 month contract in Germany that most likely wouldn't count but once you're over the limit, whoever employs you (eg your own co.) would be breaking the rules and the tax authority would demand tax and with penalties for running a co. without registering.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 January 2010, 18:04.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              Is it all about the tax? Maybe it's cheaper to live in Dubai. Definitely sunnier.
              Rents may have dropped since the recession started but I don't think it is significantly cheaper to live there, certainly there are minimal taxes to pay out there.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Well its all in the press - so the taxman must be watching closely then!

Comment

Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
                  I used to work from home 2 days a week, and 3 days in Germany - where did I 'do the work'.
                  Both places. It is perfectly possible to be taxable in 2 countries. Neither taxman would have any problem with that.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                    Rents may have dropped since the recession started but I don't think it is significantly cheaper to live there, certainly there are minimal taxes to pay out there.
                    which is my entire issue with this country and other similarly complex and expensive tax regimes. Other countries manage to survive without high taxes, and yet we are constantly told without them the whole fabric of society would collapse...I think not, otherwise how do Tax havens build roads, employ emergency services, provide healthcare and schooling....I would hazard a guess that they protect precious resources and dont fritter it away,unlike our government who find any excuse to spend it

Comment

Working...
                    X