• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

They said IT would be the first to recover....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They said IT would be the first to recover....

Since we have been hit the hardest in the least 2 years we were always given the consolation that we would be amongst the first to recover... However it seems like things are getting a lot worse and they will get even worse before they get any better if they ever do get any better....

Take a look at this:

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/images/cha...rge_smooth.png

You will notice this is the worst month on record including every other December before. Yes December is usually quiet but this is the worst it has ever been. How much longer before jobs recover in this whack industry?

If you don't like IT, do something else.

I only work with IT-ish stuff because it's fun; being able to make money out of it is a bonus. Find something you enjoy doing and make a living out of doing that. You have to be mad to work at something solely for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I only work with IT-ish stuff because it's fun; being able to make money out of it is a bonus. Find something you enjoy doing and make a living out of doing that. You have to be mad to work at something solely for the money.
      When you have a family to support, "fun" doesnt come into the equation.

I only know one contractor still in IT. The rest have either become permie, moved on to management or started Plan B.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

It's just the way you're interpreting the graph.

Give it to the IPCC and tell them what you want the stats to prove

R

Comment

There is no recovery in any UK industry other than armament manufacture, oil and investment banking.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Since we have been hit the hardest in the least 2 years we were always given the consolation that we would be amongst the first to recover... However it seems like things are getting a lot worse and they will get even worse before they get any better if they ever do get any better....

Take a look at this:

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/images/cha...rge_smooth.png

You will notice this is the worst month on record including every other December before. Yes December is usually quiet but this is the worst it has ever been. How much longer before jobs recover in this whack industry?
            But we didn't believe 'em.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              There is no recovery in any UK industry other than armament manufacture, oil and investment banking.
              and even they have slowed down.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I've been looking for 35 years for something I like doing that I can make a living out of. Meantime, I do have a family, mortgage, uni fees etc, so I do what I can. IT can be vaguely interesting, and I seem to be good at it, but more important is that it pays.

I'm not trying to be negative, but that's the way it is. I haven't found a non-empty intersection between what I enjoy doing and what I can make a living out of, so I do both, but not concurrently.
                Step outside posh boy

Comment

Why do you keep coming back and posting this cr*p. You are 26 years old, you know f all about the industry and have proven a fairly tenuous grasp of what is going on around you in many of your other posts.

You are a permie, you can't/won't/daren’t make the jump to contracting as we have seen in other posts you have posted. Permie/contract markets can differ considerably and I am certainly not in a position to make accurate assessments of both so doubt you are.

If you hate the industry so bad get out but stop getting us all down with this rubbish that doesn't even reflect the situation accurately to this audience.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 4 January 2010, 08:04. Reason: Carn't spel for tofee
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Why do you keep coming back and posting this cr*p. You are 26 years old, you know f all about the industry and have proven a fairly tenuous grasp of what is going on around you in many of your other posts.

You are a permie, you can't/won't/daren’t make the jump to contracting as we have seen in other posts you have posted. Permie/contract markets can differ considerably and I am certainly not in a position to make accurate assessments of both so doubt you are.

If you hate the industry so bad get out but stop getting us all down with this rubbish that doesn't even reflect the situation accurately to this audience.
                    Nicely put.

Comment

Working...
                    X