• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The City is Doomed (tm)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The City is Doomed (tm)

Goldman Sachs teams could quit the City over taxes and regulations

Goldman Sachs is reviewing its London operation, a move that could eventually see entire departments shifted overseas

The bank is understood to be considering its options in the wake of the UK's windfall tax on bankers' bonuses, a new 50pc top income tax rate, and increased banking regulations.

The world's most powerful investment bank has asked an internal team to examine various strategies, including whole divisions being uprooted and taken offshore.

The review, which is in its very early stages, could also recommend making no changes to the status quo. The review is a blow to government efforts to sustain the Square Mile as a global financial centre.

It is also sensitive for the bank, which has been keen to highlight the amount of tax it pays in the UK to deflect criticism of its massive earnings.

Alongside its results last year Goldman highlighted that it paid £1.1bn in UK corporation tax, the biggest contribution from the UK financial sector. Its 5,000 London employees had also contributed hundreds of millions of pounds in income tax.

Observers suggest that among the operations which will be reviewed is Goldman's proprietary trading arm, which is estimated to make up to 90pc of the bank's profits. Sources say Geneva would be a likely destination for the "prop desk", where tax on performance fees can be negotiated with the Swiss government.

More here.

---------

That's "brilliant" strategy - kill off your own homegrown industries run by people who have home here in exchange of highly mobile not-producing-anything folk that can quit very quickly.

The only thing worse than the City was the mess that was British manufacturing in the 20th century.
    Britain has always been good at invention but, with some exceptions, poor at manufacturing.
    In the end shoddy products that no one wants to buy are a direct way to bankruptcy.

HTH
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Don't believe their scary press release.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Britain has always been good at invention but, with some exceptions, poor at manufacturing.
        Ok own up, who invented this sas-puppet?

Very poor implementation of otherwise cracking idea!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          In the end shoddy products that no one wants to buy are a direct way to bankruptcy.
          BL cars ! Oh those were the days

Comment

yeah but no but

1.5 million mini metros sold - 7th most popular UK car of all time
            1.5 million minis sold - 6th most popular UK car of all time

Not bad considering 8th is the VW golf
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              yeah but no but

1.5 million mini metros sold - 7th most popular UK car of all time
              1.5 million minis sold - 6th most popular UK car of all time

Not bad considering 8th is the VW golf
              Bet there aren't many of them still on the road now (although I should think quite a few Golfs are still going).

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                The Morris Marina.
                We didn't have a car until I was in my teens.
                Imagine my relief when my dad told me he was finally buying a car (no more being the oddball family).

Imagine my dismay when he turned up with a bright red Allegro.....

ESTATE!!!!!

The shame was worse than not having a car at all.

Comment

Mini
                  Ranger Rover
                  Aston Martin
                  Noble
                  Jaguar (some people like them)
                  McLaren

Saving Rover in a proper way (getting good technology licensed etc) would have cost less than 1% of the bank bailout.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Mini
                    Ranger Rover
                    Aston Martin
                    Noble
                    Jaguar (some people like them)
                    McLaren

Saving Rover in a proper way (getting good technology licensed etc) would have cost less than 1% of the bank bailout.
                    How does Aston Martin, Noble, Mclaren (and even Range Rover or Jag) get on a list of British mass-manufacturing you absolute bell end?

Like I said you have no life experience, you analytical powers are poor and you are talking bollocks as usual.
                    The Mini was a great idea, shoddily executed: a weak, rust bucket, deadly in an accident.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X