• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Last will and testement - executor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last will and testement - executor

Look like I will be the executor for me dear old mum, when she shuffles off her mortal coil.
    Does anyone have any experience of this ? She also wants me to get her will knocked up by the weekend

hey ho

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    She also wants me to get her knocked up by the weekend
    Are you from Norwich?

*this quote has been edited for comedic effect.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Look like I will be the executor for me dear old mum, when she shuffles off her mortal coil.
      Does anyone have any experience of this ?
      Being your mum's executor or shuffling off this mortal coil?

igmc...
      If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Yes.
        I hope that your mum lives long.
        Is your father still alive?
        Are there any other executors?

You need to make sure the Will is watertight. Solicitors make their money by making the will ambiguous.

Being an executor cost me £30k you will be amazed how people act when there is a Will with money at stake.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I was executor to my Dad - but on his lawyer's advice, he'd included the lawyer. This slowed the process and made it more expensive (which is the entire point of lawyers)

Comment

Dad is dead and the house is a joint tenency with my sister, so the house drops out of the equation.

How did it cost you 30k ? whats the story there ?

I do not plan on using a solicitor or lawyer

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Best advice I can give is make the will detailed enough to cover everything that the beneficiaries could possibly argue about. Unless it's absolutely clear who gets Great Uncle Berty's medal for Best Cauliflower in Show 1919, there'll be strife.

Comment

Dad is dead and the house is a joint tenency with my sister, so the house drops out of the equation.

How did it cost you 30k ? whats the story there ?

I do not plan on using a solicitor or lawyer

The story would make a good movie but I was a joint executor with a half sister. The Will was drawn up with a straight spit between four siblings. There were objections to the split by the others because grandchildren were not directly provided for in the Will but it was up to the individual siblings to provide for them out of their own cut. They contested the Will and what they couldn’t get there hands on; they stole from the estate and bank accounts. The excuses were from those who contested the Will (including the other executor) was that the Will was made a long time ago and if mum was alive she would have made a different Will.

I refused to sign off the accounts because they were grossly inaccurate. It went to litigation at the High Court and although I engaged the best barrister in that area of practice (I should have won hands down) the barrister had to drop out the case the night before and I was left with an absolute Muppet replacement. The High Court scheduled the case for a whole day but the Judge turned up had said it only wants the hearing to last ten minutes and refused an adornment. The result I was f$£ked.

Part Two later…
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Best advice I can give is make the will detailed enough to cover everything that the beneficiaries could possibly argue about. Unless it's absolutely clear who gets Great Uncle Berty's medal for Best Cauliflower in Show 1919, there'll be strife.
                  Yes, exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    There were objections to the split by the others because grandchildren were not directly provided for in the Will but it was up to the individual siblings to provide for them out of their own cut.
                    That is a popular one. Of course, the parents of the grandkids are assuming that nobody else will have any more kids of their own in future, but there's no arguing with parent logic!

Comment

Working...
                    X