• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies

I can't understand why many companies refuse to take on contract staff without using an agency?

Can anybody give me their opinion.

Do you mean "why do some companies insist that you invoice via an agency if you find a direct contract" or "why do they insist on recruiting through agents at all"?

But basically the answer is the same, large companies don't like dealing with lots of piddling little suppliers. They like to deal with a small number of large ones (who will accept their contractual terms). It might seem to cost them more money, but makes their life a bit easier (which saves them some). Trying to change this is like stitting on the beach and commanding the tide to stop.

There is also the misconception that recruiting directly gives them a bigger risk of creating an employee-employer relationship, but I don't see this as the main reason becasue even those companies that understand this risk still prefer to do business via agents.

tim

Comment

Working...
    X