• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sockies and the replies that follow...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sockies and the replies that follow...

If I may indulge the esteemed members of CUK for a moment, but I have noticed something disturbing.

When a sockie starts a new post, eg Wilmslow's anctics on the motorway, there then follows quite a diatribe about the rights and wrongs of the original post.

The disturbing part being that the event is most unlikely to have happened, or even if it did, not to the imaginary persona of Wilmslow as such. Perhaps to the person behind Wilmslow, maybe.

In essence then, we have a probably imaginary event, created by a definitely imaginary person, on a message board that exists in virtual space, populated by other persons who also use imaginary avatars to discuss sometimes imaginary events.

If anyone asked me about CUK today, I'd be inclined to suggest that it's an imaginary self-help and abuse group for people with imaginary multiple personality disorders.

I am of course, Spartacus.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

I, of course, neither know nor care...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Can't post a full answer until I've landed with this pasta.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
        Can't post a full answer until I've landed with this pasta.
        WHS. We're formation flying from Rome, don't you know.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Think of it as a set of thought experiments and you wont go far wrong. Take any of this stuff as reality and you are as loopy as a loopy loop fruit

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            If I may indulge the esteemed members of CUK for a moment, but I have noticed something disturbing.

When a sockie starts a new post, eg Wilmslow's anctics on the motorway, there then follows quite a diatribe about the rights and wrongs of the original post.

The disturbing part being that the event is most unlikely to have happened, or even if it did, not to the imaginary persona of Wilmslow as such. Perhaps to the person behind Wilmslow, maybe.

In essence then, we have a probably imaginary event, created by a definitely imaginary person, on a message board that exists in virtual space, populated by other persons who also use imaginary avatars to discuss sometimes imaginary events.

If anyone asked me about CUK today, I'd be inclined to suggest that it's an imaginary self-help and abuse group for people with imaginary multiple personality disorders.

I am of course, Spartacus.
            Are you suggesting we go out and join TRW?

Please don't : its a cruel and unforgiving place. cuk is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Think of it as a set of thought experiments and you wont go far wrong. Take any of this stuff as reality and you are as loopy as a loopy loop fruit

But...suppose CUK is reality and everything else is just an illusion, as in The Matrix ?

That would mean that both Ferret and Scotspine are Agents (Smith and Jackson).

Agent Ferret: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to moderate your threads. I realized that you're not actually posters. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you posters do not. You move to a thread, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural commonsense is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another thread. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Posters are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure.

That said, SasGuru must surely be the wise Morpheus.

SasMorpheus : Unfortunately, no one can be told what CUK is. You have to read it for yourself.

SasMorpheus: You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt, and CUK. Free your mind. I have

Which mean Zippy has to be the way cool Trinity.

Zippinity: Touch me and that hand will never touch anything again.

Which leads us to Neo, and none better than our much-loved sockie himself...

Wilmsneo : I know kung fu. The lady who lives next door to me said that the local WI run a class. So I went along and it was closed. I got the days mixed up, and didn't have change to get the bus home...
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

BGG

I think one phrase is good to explain your post:

"It's good to rant"
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

.. When a sockie starts a new post, eg Wilmslow's anctics on the motorway, there then follows quite a diatribe about the rights and wrongs of the original post.

The disturbing part being that the event is most unlikely to have happened, or even if it did, not to the imaginary persona of Wilmslow as such. Perhaps to the person behind Wilmslow, maybe. ...
                  FWIW I reckon Wilmslow is genuine, although his motorway antics may have been slightly exaggerated.

What probably really happened was he was cycling down a country lane on his trusty old sit up and beg delivery bike when suddently up behind him rushed a farmer driving a tractor full of hay. At that moment the farmer took a long swig from his brandy flask, and veered across the road as he impetuously tried to overtake Wilmslow, causing the hay to sway dangerously. As Wilmslow swerved to avoid this, another farm labourer shot past out of nowhere on foot, herding a couple of cows, and Wilmslow, thinking like lightning, was left no choice but to steer into a ditch.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

That said, SasGuru must surely be the wise Morpheus.
                    SasGuru is the Forum Baldrick

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X