• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you don't beat your child, then they're destined to failure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't beat your child, then they're destined to failure

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6974059.ece

Originally posted by The Sunday Times
    A smacked child ‘is a successful child’

A study suggests chastised youngsters do better in life

Young children smacked by their parents may grow up to be happier and more successful than those who have never been hit, a study has found.

According to the research, children smacked up to the age of six were likely as teenagers to perform better at school and were more likely to carry out volunteer work and to want to go to university than their peers who had never been physically disciplined.

Only those children who continued to be smacked into adolescence showed clear behavioural problems.

Children’s groups and MPs have tried several times to have physical chastisement by parents outlawed. They claim it is a form of abuse that causes long-term harm to children and say banning it would send a clear signal that violence is unacceptable.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 5 January 2010, 11:48.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Your link doesn't work
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Of course the fact that maybe parents who care enough to smack also care enough to push their children on has not occured to anyone.

Where is sasguru to heap abuse on all these stupid statisticians who want a good gazzaing?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Your link doesn't work
        Does now. Thank-you for bringing me back into line and thereby ensuring my success.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Of course the fact that maybe parents who care enough to smack also care enough to push their children on has not occured to anyone.

Where is sasguru to heap abuse on all these stupid statisticians who want a good gazzaing?
          WTF?!!
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            WTF?!!
            care enough to put personal squemishness aside give the child a smack when required to
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

WTF?!!
              Excellent. A very eloquent post. More like this please.

Why did I bother popping into cuk today?

Comment

Regular beatings with a horse-whip never did me any harm.

It was when my parents found a copy of "S&M Monthly" that the beatings stopped and they figured out why I used to play up so much.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Excellent. A very eloquent post. More like this please.

Why did I bother popping into cuk today?

I do not beat my child - so the implication is that I am not a caring parent.
                  What a load of utter utter bollocks.
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I do not beat my child - so the implication is that I am not a caring parent.
                    Bad mommy Pogle

Baby P's parents were obviously very caring

Comment

Working...
                    X