• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello from a bench sitter.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from a bench sitter.

Not sure if hello threads are the thing on this forum, but I thought I'd say hi.

I've been contracting for about 10 years now and found the main site useful, and decided to join the forum today. Maybe to distract me from the discomfort of the splinters on this bench.

Been on the bench since Aug, after 6 years of repeat contracts gained by word of mouth. So a bit rusty on the searching for work thing.
    The whole agency thing seems to be greatly confused from what I remember! They just seem to get in the way?

Originally posted by CalmEddie View Post
    Not sure if hello threads are the thing on this forum, but I thought I'd say hi.

I've been contracting for about 10 years now and found the main site useful, and decided to join the forum today. Maybe to distract me from the discomfort of the splinters on this bench.

Been on the bench since Aug, after 6 years of repeat contracts gained by word of mouth. So a bit rusty on the searching for work thing.
    The whole agency thing seems to be greatly confused from what I remember! They just seem to get in the way?
    Spot on.

Or as my partner puts it, "how the Hell did you shower of spineless wimps let these idiotic winkers get you into this situation?"
    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Sorry to hear you're on the bench. For someone like yourself, agents will probably prove quite puzzling. But for someone like me, who hasn't quite got to the going direct route, I have to grit my teeth as I rely on them to find me work! Assume you've got your CV on Jobserve and all the rest of it. Good luck...
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

What line are you in, Calm eddie ?
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Hello CalmEddie from a fellow benchee

It all depends on what line you are in, it you are niche then find out who the most common agencies are who advertise in your line of work, get a name of someone there that you can contact (LinkedIn - very useful).

These days, it seems any fool and his donkey are advertising gigs and companies are not exactly sticking to PSLs or they change them regularly based on the position.

One thing we are all finding is that, there are a lot of fake jobs and a hell of a lot of fishing. If any one asks you for passport details, national insurance or two references, you know to put the phone down sharpish.

Best of luck and hope you're off the bench, soon (with the rest of us).
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Basiclly agencys provide 2 services

*Marketing/networking so instead of contractors having to contact 100's of clients they only need to contact a few dozen agencys (and same in reverse for the clients)

*A factoring service

No other benefit, and sometimes are more hassle than they are worth, especially the ones who try to advoid providing the second service

If you don't need the first service then no point in using them really

Comment

Thanks folks. Re the line I'm in, I do IT projects. Programme, portfolio and project management, the whole shebang. Anything from a software deploy to a entire data-centre and all apps.

My trouble is, most of the pimps triaging the CVs in the first line don't know enough about it, and the second line don't really understand it. That and now so many people are putting project manager on their CVs when really they've only done a bit of project admin. Makes the whole thing a merry-go-round.

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

One thing we are all finding is that, there are a lot of fake jobs and a hell of a lot of fishing. If any one asks you for passport details, national insurance or two references, you know to put the phone down sharpish.
              Ah - the old fake jobs trick eh? It's almost like the return of an old friend

Comment

Hi CalmEddie

What area/technology do you work in?
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

What ho!

So a bit rusty on the searching for work thing.
                  Selling yourself direct has not changed, except - as norrahe says - we now have LinkedIn to make it easier to track down past colleagues. If you are not on there, get on with it.

You probably know this by now, but just in case: link.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher
                    Do you like movies about gladiators?
                    All sockies like movies about gladiators.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X