• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would snowy London be accessible by car tomorrow ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would snowy London be accessible by car tomorrow ?

I need to make it to Vauxhall London by car tomorrow and the weather forecast is snow all day. This might well turn out be the most adventurous interview ever ....

No chance.

If you are coming via a motorway or major A route then the road will be blocked due to accidents caused by others being blinded by fog lights or annoyed by someone driving at 10mph when it's safe to go at a normal speed.

If you are driving on minor roads they won't be gritted and if the snow isn't fresh then the road will be blocked by abandoned cars or accidents.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If it wasn't for the londoners you'd be fine.
      As it is you'll be stuck in traffic queues thanks to an entire city worth of drivers going too fast and crashing badly, wheel spinning uselessly or just abandoning their cars in the middle of the road.
      Much like Manchester (apparently) is today
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Buy a set of snow chains and use the back roads.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Buy a set of snow chains and use the back roads.
          There are no back roads in London.

Everyone uses the same short cuts.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If there is a lot of snow I wouldn't bother.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

"There is a high risk of an extreme weather event affecting parts of Southern England this evening and overnight.

"A period of exceptionally heavy snowfall is expected with accumulations of 15-30 cm and perhaps in excess of 40 cm.

"This is expected to cause widespread disruption to the transport network and could lead to problems with power supplies."

- http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/h...00/8441195.stm

Don't be too surprised if you get there and find out the permy interviewers haven't

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Don't be too surprised if you get there and find out the permy interviewers haven't
                This is the most likely outcome if the weather is as they say.

You'll plan ahead, give it plenty of time, make it to the extents of the tube network and get in on or near the time - with no-one to meet and greet you.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the "hope" . This just adds brilliantly to the fact that my front-tyres are complete rubbish - easily spun on wet not to mention snow. My back tyres are just on the legal tread limit.

But I can't walk out now - I am not a pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by newblood View Post
                    Thanks guys for all the "hope" . This just adds brilliantly to the fact that my front-tyres are complete rubbish - easily spun on wet not to mention snow. My back tyres are just on the legal tread limit.
                    See how the weather goes overnight, then call and email client in the morning to see if you can have a telephone interview. I bet none of them are in.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X