PDA

View Full Version : Doomed - now the gas is running out

moorfield
5th January 2010, 19:29
Here at Moorfield Towers we have two boilers. Earlier this evening both cut out within 10 mins of each other with error codes R01 and F1. Checking the manuals I noticed these are both ignition errors - possible cause low gas pressure. One boiler has restarted ok the other is still not igniting.

Spooky.

:eek::eek::eek:

Spacecadet
5th January 2010, 19:35
too cold for them?

Board Game Geek
5th January 2010, 19:49
too cold for them?

The Russians playing up again ?

swamp
5th January 2010, 20:07
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/6937285/Risk-of-gas-supply-cuts-as-temperatures-plummet.html

Oh Dear[tm]!

"Gas Balancing Alert Issued at 13:10 for Gas Day 04/01/2010"

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Data/GBA/GBA_Alerts/TemplateForGBAIssue.htm

DiscoStu
5th January 2010, 20:18
Have you tried bleeding the radiators?

pzz76077
5th January 2010, 20:26
Get a couple of new free boilers then: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jan/05/boiler-scrappage-scheme

PZZ

Sysman
5th January 2010, 20:26
It was in the Times earlier today (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6976308.ece) but dropped off their front page.

The National Grid issued a gas balancing alert (GBA) yesterday afternoon, only the second time that the mechanism has been used.

A spokesman said the alert had already proved effective and bosses were meeting again today to decide whether to issue a further GBA after the current warning expires.

GBAs are a way of warning major customers to ease off on the fuel as well as encouraging suppliers to bring in more gas.

A spokesman said that some power suppliers had stopped using gas yesterday afternoon which eased the pressure.

He added: “The big generators like E.ON have gas-fired power stations and coal-fired power stations. They can choose to switch from gas to coal.

“We thought there was going to be a certain amount of gas going into the country and then a few suppliers, their supplies dropped off.

“They weren’t going to be able to provide the amount that we thought, so we issued a GBA so hopefully that’s going to bring it back to where it should be.”

The first time a GBA was used was in March 2006.

threaded
5th January 2010, 20:29
Grid failures were predicted for the winter.

If anyone cares to check "I told you so" tm

Remember sheep: keep voting for the New Lie. Baaaaa.

pzz76077
5th January 2010, 20:35
It was in the Times earlier today (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6976308.ece) but dropped off their front page.

Same as saying we are not going to deliver the service we said would then...

PZZ

Peoplesoft bloke
5th January 2010, 20:39

Remember sheep: keep voting for the New Lie. Baaaaa.

WTF has it got to do with New Lie? Mrs Thatcher sold it all off - nowt to do with the government any more, hasn't been for ages.

pzz76077
5th January 2010, 20:41
WTF has it got to do with New Lie? Mrs Thatcher sold it all off - nowt to do with the government any more, hasn't been for ages.

Isnt this now an issue for Soviet partnerships or is it Anglo French partnerships now that they own most of our utilities??

PZZ

Peoplesoft bloke
5th January 2010, 20:48
Isnt this now an issue for Soviet partnerships or is it Anglo French partnerships now that they own most of our utilities??

PZZ
Indeed, all hail the fabulous fruits of Mrs Thatcher's wonderful sale of all our public untilities.

pzz76077
5th January 2010, 20:52
Indeed, all hail the fabulous fruits of Mrs Thatcher's wonderful sale of all our public untilities.

In retrospect it was not a good idea- they should of made it a Quango.....

PZZ

VectraMan
5th January 2010, 21:05
I watched an episode of "Coast" the other day where they were in Norway at a big gas refinery (is refinery the right word? I forget). The irritating Scottish bloke asked the Norweigen running it how much of the gas was for Norway, and how much was going to Britain, and he said with a wry smile: "We don't need it. We have hydro electric."

Apparently 1/5th of the UK gas comes from there. They've built a whole industry around selling something they don't need to the idiots across The North Sea.

NickFitz
5th January 2010, 21:15
Apparently 1/5th of the UK gas comes from there. They've built a whole industry around selling something they don't need to the idiots across The North Sea.

They've also invested all the money they make from gas and oil in improving the nation and providing a better standard of living for its citizens. We spent ours destroying our manufacturing base and then supporting six million unemployed* in the Eighties.

* Yes, I know the official figures only ever said around three million, but it was more than six million in reality.

Troll
5th January 2010, 21:19
WTF has it got to do with New Lie? Mrs Thatcher sold it all off - nowt to do with the government any more, hasn't been for ages.Everything - when this this Government came to power the "energy gap" was predicted to hit within a decade - i.e. the decommissioning of nuclear reactors & a decline in N.Sea gas would place a burden on the energy infrastructure.

What did it do?...sweet FA.. instead it focussed all parliamentary efforts on overturning the prohibition of sodomising of young boys, appeasing terrorists groups and preventing the hunting of rural vermin.... oh and also managed to massively increase the UK's population to add to the problem.

Like a rabbit caught in headlights, it wasn't until Blair had a sudden realisation that there were actually important issues that needed addressing that we had the rushing through of legislation allowing for the construction of new nuclear power stations...& given the lead time for design to build all about ten years too late

swamp
5th January 2010, 21:25
Everything - when this this Government came to power the "energy gap" was predicted to hit within a decade - i.e. the decommissioning of nuclear reactors & a decline in N.Sea gas would place a burden on the energy infrastructure.

What did it do?...sweet FA.. instead it focussed all parliamentary efforts on overturning the prohibition of sodomising of young boys, appeasing terrorists groups and preventing the hunting of rural vermin.... oh and also managed to massively increase the UK's population to add to the problem.

Like a rabbit caught in headlights, it wasn't until Blair had a sudden realisation that there were actually important issues that needed addressing that we had the rushing through of legislation allowing for the construction of new nuclear power stations...& given the lead time for design to build all about ten years too late

But invading sovereign states is more interesting than fixing the domestic energy gap, especially as the only (feasible) answer is the dreaded nuclear option!

pzz76077
5th January 2010, 21:29
But invading sovereign states is more interesting than fixing the domestic energy gap, especially as the only (feasible) answer is the dreaded nuclear option!

There are lots of other alternatives but they need imagination, investment and most importantly vision and commitment- all of these are not what UK Gov do. Eg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Spain#Solar_thermal_power_plants

Lets use global warming to out advantage!

PZZ

swamp
5th January 2010, 21:32
There are lots of other alternatives but they need imagination, investment and most importantly vision and commitment- all of these are not what UK Gov do. Eg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Spain#Solar_thermal_power_plants

Lets use global warming to out advantage!

PZZ

In this country, with our summers?!! :rollin:

That thing here wouldn't even power the CUK servers.

pzz76077
5th January 2010, 21:36
In this country, with our summers?!! :rollin:

That thing here wouldn't even power the CUK servers.

Well with global warming and all, you should start planning for the future...

PZZ

Paddy
5th January 2010, 21:59
Here at Moorfield Towers we have two boilers. Earlier this evening both cut out within 10 mins of each other with error codes R01 and F1. Checking the manuals I noticed these are both ignition errors - possible cause low gas pressure. One boiler has restarted ok the other is still not igniting.

Spooky.

Get some hose and bypass the regulator, details here

http://www.davidforward.co.uk/gas/images/595/hfge11.jpg

Peoplesoft bloke
5th January 2010, 23:21
In retrospect it was not a good idea- they should of made it a Quango.....

PZZ

Er - She created all the pointless regulatory Quangos at the same time.

threaded
6th January 2010, 04:53

Oh dear. You've fallen into the government spin that all national infrastructure problem are now nothing to do with them...

I knew as soon as Tony Bliar got elected that this day would come. Anyone who didn't is a fool.

HTH

Tarquin Farquhar
6th January 2010, 08:06
They've also invested all the money they make from gas and oil in improving the nation and providing a better standard of living for its citizens. We spent ours destroying our manufacturing base and then supporting six million unemployed* in the Eighties.

* Yes, I know the official figures only ever said around three million, but it was more than six million in reality.Sad but true. This country has financed current spending from outside sources of wealth for over a century, be it Opium in China, enforced trade with India, squandering of Marshall aid, treating one-off wealth as spendable income, or building a bubble from property and the City.

I watched the once great Pan Am do its business in the 1980s: it stopped making a profit as an airline, despite being the de facto flag-carrier for the world's biggest economy. So one year they sold off the Intercontinental Hotels chain. Next year they sold off profitable routes. THen they sold off actual planes. People said, what are they going to do next year? Next year they folded.

When you have forgotten how to make money, you will spend what you've got until it's gone and then you will fold.

Board Game Geek
6th January 2010, 08:21
I watched the once great Pan Am do its business in the 1980s

I preferred TWA tea.

BlackenedBiker
6th January 2010, 08:24

Remember sheep: keep voting for the Nude Lay. Brrrrrrrrr.

FTFY

RichardCranium
6th January 2010, 10:23
Meanwhile we have hordes of almost useless windmills marching across the country. With an average 10% output on installed capacity. Wonderful.Want to know something scary?

It takes more energy to manufacture, construct, install, maintain and dispose of a wind turbine than it will generate in its life.

And that appears to be a secret outside the little clique of us pro-nuclear greenies.

Peoplesoft bloke
6th January 2010, 10:29
Oh dear. You've fallen into the government spin that all national infrastructure problem are now nothing to do with them...

I knew as soon as Tony Bliar got elected that this day would come. Anyone who didn't is a fool.

HTH

Oh have I your Highness. At least I haven't allowed myself to become a pompous superior arrogant git; and you are wrong anyway. True Tony continued that spin, but it started with Thatcher.

BlackenedBiker
6th January 2010, 10:34
Talk to zeitghost he is apparently producing enough methane to keep you going

:sick

norrahe
6th January 2010, 10:37
Want to know something scary?

It takes more energy to manufacture, construct, install, maintain and dispose of a wind turbine than it will generate in its life.

And that appears to be a secret outside the little clique of us pro-nuclear greenies.

Not really a secret but something the "non nuclear greenies" appear to ignore, add to the fact that wind turbines are not that effective in the production of energy as other methods.

There's currently planning permission for a big fat wind farm next to my village, and I'm sure the government will step in and approve it despite the opposition (as well as the big fat council estate that they are planning to stick on some agricultural land).

scooterscot
6th January 2010, 10:38
We've hardly switched on the gas central heating over the holiday... we installed one of those last month (http://www.hotfurniture.co.uk/showroom_home.php?hometo=Hwam&mainshow=Vivaldi).

Looks really smart and I've been surprised how just one smouldering log can keep the house nice and warm...

threaded
6th January 2010, 10:51
Oh have I your Highness. At least I haven't allowed myself to become a pompous superior arrogant git; and you are wrong anyway. True Tony continued that spin, but it started with Thatcher.

That my well be true, but I feel sure a different government would at least have made some sort of effort toward infrastructure projects.

Peoplesoft bloke
6th January 2010, 11:56
That my well be true, but I feel sure a different government would at least have made some sort of effort toward infrastructure projects.

And I feel equally sure they wouldn't. The previous government was good at selling infrastructure back to people who already owned it, not much else, I see no reason to suppose they would have been much different if they had continued.

Bunk
6th January 2010, 13:40
Talk to zeitghost he is apparently producing enough methane to keep you going

:sick

:laugh

That was my first thought when I saw the thread. Plenty of gas in Wales at the moment.

shaunbhoy
6th January 2010, 15:28
We've hardly switched on the gas central heating over the holiday... we installed one of those last month (http://www.hotfurniture.co.uk/showroom_home.php?hometo=Hwam&mainshow=Vivaldi).

Looks really smart and I've been surprised how just one smouldering log can keep the house nice and warm...

Would love one of those but I fear any savings made would be gobbled up in extra insurance payments as we have a Thatched roof. Pity, but something for when we downsize!

threaded
6th January 2010, 16:37
Would love one of those but I fear any savings made would be gobbled up in extra insurance payments as we have a Thatched roof. Pity, but something for when we downsize!

Actually, I have one of them, and a thatched roof.

Tarquin Farquhar
6th January 2010, 16:40
"The Subways of Tazoo" by Colin Kapp was plainly a forecast.And our energy policy is Unorthodox Engineering?