• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor mortgage and Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor mortgage and Umbrella

I have been contracting since June last year and used to be paid by means of a generic offshore loan. Scary stuff.

I realized my mistake and exited the scheme end of last year. Going forward I favor a Ltd approach but the issue I face is that I want to apply for a mortgage this year. I need to know if getting paid by means of a Umbrella is a better idea simply because you get monthly pay slips you can use to proof your income. Anybody out there that successfully applied for a mortgage from a high street using pay slips from an Umbrella?

I want to borrow £275k on a house that costs £325k

Originally posted by bpm_monkey View Post
    I have been contracting since June last year and used to be paid by means of a generic offshore loan. Scary stuff.

I realized my mistake and exited the scheme end of last year. Going forward I favor a Ltd approach but the issue I face is that I want to apply for a mortgage this year. I need to know if getting paid by means of a Umbrella is a better idea simply because you get monthly pay slips you can use to proof your income. Anybody out there that successfully applied for a mortgage from a high street using pay slips from an Umbrella?

I want to borrow £275k on a house that costs £325k
    I use Orange Genie, showed the Nationwide my last 12 payslips and they said fine, no problem.

I chatted to the mortgage arranger and said I thought there might be a problem, and she replied that these days there are so many people using MSC's for payroll that it is not novel or unusual anymore, and that most instituitions were not frightened by it anymore.

I wouldn't worry about it.

HTH
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I went through Contractor Money. All they required was a copy of my current contract to secure a mortgage with Abbey. That was 2 years ago. Things may have changed though.

Comment

I used contractor money in May 2009. Got an 80% mortgage with Woolwich based on value of a 3 month contract.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_woo View Post
          I used contractor money in May 2009. Got an 80% mortgage with Woolwich based on value of a 3 month contract.
          Do you use an Umbrella or do you have a Ltd and what fee did CM charge you?

Comment

Originally posted by mr_woo View Post
            Bypass the middleman and go direct to Woolwich/Barclays - I did last year no problems and a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              Bypass the middleman and go direct to Woolwich/Barclays - I did last year no problems and a lot easier.
              Which Umbrella are you using?

Comment

Umbrellas generally don't cause too much trouble, but I know ltd can be an issue. In the case of having to use ltd paye and divs, the more info the better. A mate of mine didn't have too many hassles when he supplied his company contracts showing his daily rates to back up the income he was taking from the company.

Comment

Working...
                X