• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Oh Why etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Oh Why etc

One of the things I like least about this country is how everyone thinks they know better. Nowhere is this better exemplified than the pillocks who say

"why does the country grind to a halt every time we have a bit of snow?"

or

"why can't people drive properly in snow (implication - only I know how)" and "why do people insist on driving so slowly when the roads are icy"

One of the things I like least about this country is how some people think they know better
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      One of the things I like least about this country is how some people think they know better
      Especially ze foreign types.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Especially ze foreign types.
        Not like us British eh! Alex

How's the snow in Brum?

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          How's the snow in Brum?
          Just parked my car on my side street - snow situation in a single emoticon is:

|
          |
          |
          |
          |
          |
          |
          |
          |
          |
          |
          |
          V

Comment

Abysmal here, don't think I'll be digging the car out for a few days

Comment

It's the same in Denmark. Bit of snow, place comes to a halt, and it's always a surprise. They've got the Army out using APCs as Ambulances.

There again, I think the permies use it as an excuse: I cycle to work and was first in by 3 hours. "Oh my usual train was cancelled and there was only 1 bus every half hour."

Yeah yeah you poor dear I've cycled 30 km cross country and held off when I started to feel too warm.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                It's the same in Denmark. Bit of snow, place comes to a halt, and it's always a surprise. They've got the Army out using APCs as Ambulances.

There again, I think the permies use it as an excuse: I cycle to work and was first in by 3 hours. "Oh my usual train was cancelled and there was only 1 bus every half hour."

Yeah yeah you poor dear I've cycled 30 km cross country and held off when I started to feel too warm.
                ISTR that years ago Denmark had sensibly kept some old steam locomotives, because they were so heavy that they could get through the snow. Presumably that's been modernised now.
                Step outside posh boy

Comment

They had a fair amount of snow in Geneva over the past 2 days - not as much as the uk, but a couple of inches on the ground. Today all the roads are clear - really clear, not covered in slush. All the pavements are clear also. They have mini snow plough for the pavements. They also send out teams of people with wheel barrows, shovels and grit. Compare that to where I live where they have run out of grit! Some places are just better prepared than others.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    They had a fair amount of snow in Geneva over the past 2 days - not as much as the uk, but a couple of inches on the ground. Today all the roads are clear - really clear, not covered in slush. All the pavements are clear also. They have mini snow plough for the pavements. They also send out teams of people with wheel barrows, shovels and grit. Compare that to where I live where they have run out of grit! Some places are just better prepared than others.
                    That's what happens when snow is a regular occurrence. You'd be pretty cheesed off if the UK spent millions on infrastructure that was only used once every 30 years.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X