• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recent issue - do you just play the game?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent issue - do you just play the game?

Last year I recommended a contractor (who I had worked with before on the same account) to clientco to run a project in conjunction with their primary supplier. Beancounting reasons meant the contractor’s own contract had to be administered through the supplier and would be paid for by the project he would be running. Due to the potentially unusual situation this would instigate, I recommended that the whole arrangement be open-book so that everyone would get a fair deal. This is not unusual where the primary supplier is simply procuring services on clientco’s behalf.

The open-book arrangement did not work and we were aware that the primary supplier was taking a significant premium out of the arrangement. I expressed my dissatisfaction with this, given that clientco had effectively sourced the contractor and the supplier was just administering a purchase order. I gave an example of the type of value-chain I would have seen as a fair representation of the arrangement – e.g. clientco pays 100%, supplier pays agency 90%, agency pays contractor 80% (the actual figures were more like 100%, 80%, 75%). This was done verbally, completely openly in clientco/supplier programme meetings and I also expressed the same sentiment in an email.

Four weeks later, both myself and the contractor were accused of unethical behaviour by questioning the value chain. I understand that (I never saw the official complaint) I was accused by one of the supplier’s directors of using insider information to “manipulate my colleagues rates up”. One of clientco’s directors (who I have had a working relationship with for several years) read the single email above out of context and agreed my contract should be immediately terminated. This was all done “second-hand” via clientco’s programme manager - clientco’s director did not even bother to speak to me to understand more of the context. Only with the support of the programme manager and other clientco directors was termination avoided.

This experience has left me severely disillusioned –
    1) That someone I have known for years and would have thought I could rely on to “back me up” could so quickly and willingly ruin my reputation and affect my business on the basis of a single email taken out of context without even having the courtesy to discuss the situation with me directly.
    2) That people will willingly and ruthlessly use any potentially incriminating “evidence” out of context to achieve the aim of destroying my reputation and impacting my business.
    3) In the longer term, I now feel I cannot trust the people I thought I could trust and that in place of open, frank and honest verbal/written communication I now have to adopt the kind of behaviour I feel intrinsically repulsed by – slopey-shouldering, backside covering and bullsh***ing.

I have had a follow-up meeting with clientco’s director. I said that it was an unfortunate view of the world that people would choose to use things out of context for the purposes of delivering retribution. His reply “that’s business, you deal with it or you find another line of work”.

Is he right? Is business really that cynical where we have to cheat, lie and back-stab each other to scrabble ahead?

I had this ethos that business thrives on building good working relationships, about all parties getting a fair deal, treating others as you would be treated etc. One of the reasons I became a contractor was that I was starting to become disillusioned with the “do as I say, not what I do” approach to large-company business.

Am I just totally naive and idealistic (I was certainly naive to give someone the opportunity to carry out this attack)? Should I change and “play the game” just as long as the money comes in even if I have the personal belief that the behaviour I’m adopting is wrong? Am I just in the wrong game? Opinions appreciated!

Just firebomb his house.

He puts one of yours in the hospital, you put one of his in the morgue.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Sounds horrible. Such is the world of business and money.

If I were you I'd suck it up and then get out as soon as something else comes up. Or perhaps it's not that central to the job and you'd prefer to continue the contract. In that case you just need to be a bit tough mentally and go on.

The bit about taking the email out of context sounds particularly galling.

Comment

It's much easier said than done, but you need to step back and leave people to fight their own battles. That's not the same as lying / cheating / back stabbing, but their problems aren't your concern, especially as a contractor. I struggle with it too!

Comment

remember he who minutes the meeting owns the meeting.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TFour View Post
            His reply “that’s business, you deal with it or you find another line of work”.

Is he right? Is business really that cynical where we have to cheat, lie and back-stab each other to scrabble ahead?

I had this ethos that business thrives on building good working relationships, about all parties getting a fair deal, treating others as you would be treated etc. One of the reasons I became a contractor was that I was starting to become disillusioned with the “do as I say, not what I do” approach to large-company business.

Am I just totally naive and idealistic (I was certainly naive to give someone the opportunity to carry out this attack)? Should I change and “play the game” just as long as the money comes in even if I have the personal belief that the behaviour I’m adopting is wrong? Am I just in the wrong game? Opinions appreciated!
            First of all, congratulations for believing that for as long as you were able.

All previous posters were right, I'm afraid (apart from the firebomb, obviously, but his heart was in the right place )

You can still have integrity in this business, but you need to learn a couple of things.

One is (as kp2 said) is not to fight other's battles - your colleague accepted the rate and you should have left it at that.

The second is to play your cards closer to your chest. I think you might be a bit too open and other people can take advantage of that. Don't tell everyone everything. And don't assume that people are as trustworthy as yourself. Trust them only as far as you could throw them. And then double-check that bit.

Hard lesson learned, I'm afraid.
            Last edited by cojak; 7 January 2010, 08:21.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Sounds to me like he's getting back handers from the Supplier.

I would keep faith in your belief system, and generally I think it has worked for me. I have managed to grow my network and work with clients for years at a time.

Good people can work with your belief system. Bad people need to hide behind the conniving, underhand, crooked methods that have always been a part of the business world.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I would keep faith in your belief system, and generally I think it has worked for me. I have managed to grow my network and work with clients for years at a time.

Good people can work with your belief system. Bad people need to hide behind the conniving, underhand, crooked methods that have always been a part of the business world.
                WHS

Companies vary to the level of back stabbing and so do the individuals in each company. Keep to your principals and those with the same will come back to you over and over again because of them. Don't let them bring you down to their own level.
                Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Perhaps the OP could suggest this in an email to "all". Probably won't do the career any good, but might be entertaining. (Best for OP and career, just let it go.)

Comment

Originally posted by TFour View Post
                    Yes, you were naive. But now you know better.

The one thing I've learnt in 21 years of contracting is: you are on your own. When anything flares up, you are the easiest target. I've been in a couple of "rough" situations as a contractor over the years, and both times the permies grouped together - including their managers - and I took the stick for it. Simplest thing is simply to move on, as fighting it will get you nowhere.

Just my two cents.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X