• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charities

Hi.

I am not originally from UK, perhaps that's why I'm so puzzled by some strange customs and business decisions I have come across here, but the one area that's most intriguing to me is charities.

During my first contract, in a corporate environment, I noticed that every Friday there would be a donation to some charity, it was some person walking round the cubicles and I immediately noticed how the peer pressure was working and forcing people to donate to a specific charity.
    I came across different situations where you were equally expected to pay up, as everyone, including TV presenters wore the badge, again, I'm sure at least some disagree with the cause...

Then I came across the other end - the fact that charities have c-level people paid on par with other industries, and that charities commission expensive IT projects.

But what finally triggered me to vent the frustration, is when I learned that those IT projects are being offshored to India.

Now I really wonder, is that really what people want done with their donations?
    Or do they really just want to feel better about having done something?
    Or are they simply coerced into donations as described above?

Finally is it legal to advertise yourself as a charity for a certain cause if so much of the money goes in strange directions such as Indian outsourcers and CEO bonuses for 'savings'?

Where are you from xchaotic ?
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I once got badly caught out: I went into my then ClientCo on "Children in Need" day (it's in the evening, FFS) and got stung by a receptionist (she's supposed to be in reception, FFS) coming round the developer area with a tin... and the smallest note I had was a twenty

Of course when you're the only contractor in a team of eight, and they've all stuck a fiver in (because the first one didn't have any change and the rest felt they ought to do the same) it's immediately apparent that demanding fifteen quid change isn't really an option

If these children are in that much need, why don't they get a bloody job?

Comment

"it was some person walking round the cubicles"

George Micheal?
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Peer pressure? The sheep exist to be shorn...

If it is money for Africa and they start to grumble, I give them the full story of how giving money keeps those poor people in poverty, indeed it's the worst form of imperialism, so giving money is actually quite the wrongest thing to do.

They generally bugger off when they see how worked up about it I get.

If I manage to stay calm I point them at micro-loans, and a fellow contractors work with coffee plantations.

Although most usually I tell them something like: 'Sorry, I never carry cash.'
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I just refuse to give to charities any more.

When I recently saw the inflated salaries the various charities directors and managers were receiving, I decided that they could better afford to give than I could, and my standard response now is. "Go and get a donation from your directors, They earn 10 times what I do"

And now the government is getting their grubby little fingers in the pot to scrape out their share.
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

The final straw for me was when the director of Oxfam started to make political statements , and not in a personal capacity. I would not donate to a political organisation

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

I tell them I already give to charity.

I much prefer the Justgiving website - that allows me the choice of giving or not giving and I don't feel pressured into it (the moment that happens my money stays in my purse).
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Pick one charity, support that & turn down all others: works for me, any one asks for money I say sorry I only support the MS Society, and I do not belive in charities that support outside of the UK. Even the Christain Aid man has stopped calling on us now
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    Pick one charity, support that & turn down all others: works for me, any one asks for money I say sorry I only support the MS Society, and I do not belive in charities that support outside of the UK. Even the Christain Aid man has stopped calling on us now
                    Hi Halo. We played Vinci here last night, all wrapped up warm with our hot toddies. Highly recommend it to you and BGG

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X