• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Horizon: Man's Best Friend.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horizon: Man's Best Friend.

The Dog.

Not what you were thinking.

Got bored & switched it off after 20 mins.

Horizon is not what it was.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    The Dog.

I started watching half way through - and I want a silver fox as a pet

But I agree, Horizon has dumbed down a lot
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      The Dog.

No, indeed. And BBC2 is not what it was, though BBC4 is making a good effort. But the Arts and Media types have obviously taken over Horizon, and shut out the scientists, and most of the science.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        Yeah, I caught the last 25 mins or so. Up till that point had been raising the happiness stakes at Chez SB by watching Air Crash Investigations!
        Fairly interesting but not of the same calibre as the Horizon of old.
        Dogs, stemming from Wolves that are essentially social carnivores that hunt during daylight hours. Must be a future for wolves in the Banking sector if they can only isolate and remove the social genes.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Saw a similar type of programme many moons ago where the theory was that men did not adopt canines, for the canines to help them. Rather the canines adopted the humans and saw their left overs as a valuable food supply, and by being nice and slobbery, they didnt get chased away so much

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

BBC is currently investigating itself about bias in its coverage of science and the environment

'fraid it's in the Mail though

Heated debate in recent years around topics like climate change, GM crops and the MMR vaccine reflects this, and BBC reporting has to steer a course through these controversial issues while remaining impartial.

‘The BBC has a well-earned reputation for the quality of its science reporting, but it is also important that we look at it afresh to ensure that it is adhering to the very high standards that licence fee payers expect.’

A scientific expert will be hired to lead the review and it will concentrate on coverage of the issues featured in its news and factual output to see whether they meet the corporation’s Royal Charter and requirement that controversial subjects are covered impartially.

The review will also focus on the way the BBC reports on new technologies including Wi-Fi wireless internet.
            The review comes after repeated criticism of the broadcaster’s handling of green issues.

Critics have claimed that it has not fairly represented the views of sceptics who do not agree that climate change is caused by human action, leading to a string of complaints over coverage of the issue.
            ...but agreed Horizon is krap these days... actually everything to do with science whether on satellite or terrestrial channels appears dumbed down.

Is it the presenters or the audiences fault?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

... and is "sceptics " a neutral word?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Saw a similar type of programme many moons ago where the theory was that men did not adopt canines, for the canines to help them. Rather the canines adopted the humans and saw their left overs as a valuable food supply, and by being nice and slobbery, they didnt get chased away so much

There's some science experiment been going off in Russia now for umpteen years. Apparently it only takes 50 generations to tame foxes, and by inference turn wolves into dogs. That's pretty darn fast if you think about it. They've repeated the experiment several times too.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  There's some science experiment been going off in Russia now for umpteen years. Apparently it only takes 50 generations to tame foxes, and by inference turn wolves into dogs. That's pretty darn fast if you think about it. They've repeated the experiment several times too.
                  I can believe it.
                  The theory I was on about was that the wolves tamed themselves. They used their social similarities to humans as a way of ingratiating and infiltrating and using us as a backup food supply, not by hunting us, but by eating the scraps. Which as any dog owner knows, is a feast to a doggie.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    I do as well.

Though I wouldn't be able to walk it because all the f**king children in my area would want to stroke it.

I'm surprised they haven't been selling them as pets.....

Edited to say: They are according to Wiki as the project is in serious financial difficulties due to the demise of the USSR
                    Last edited by SueEllen; 7 January 2010, 12:11.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X