• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Riddle me this

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riddle me this

We are in a major recession. Car manufacturers are struggling to sell cars, going to the wall or being bailed out. Yet many manufacturers are significantly raising their list prices, Ford,BMW, you name it. I honestly cannot see the logic behind this, once the scrappage runs out they will be selling even fewer cars (most of the scrappage money went on cheapo cars anyway). There will be even less money in supply this year, so what exactly is the plan? Is it genius? or are these companies being run by idiots?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    We are in a major recession. Car manufacturers are struggling to sell cars, going to the wall or being bailed out. Yet many manufacturers are significantly raising their list prices, Ford,BMW, you name it. I honestly cannot see the logic behind this, once the scrappage runs out they will be selling even fewer cars (most of the scrappage money went on cheapo cars anyway). There will be even less money in supply this year, so what exactly is the plan? Is it genius? or are these companies being run by idiots?
    The people that work in sectors thriving from all the bail out cash still have money to burn.

HTH
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Is it better to sell fewer cars more profitably or more cars less profitably?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        ooh oooh I know this one.

Check out 'the long tail'.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Same with breweries raising beer prices to protect profits whilst the pubs are struggling to get people through the door.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

In BMW's case they seem to be discounting heavily back down to the prices they raised them from. The sort of trick Currys et al do. Ford similarly, yet now the Focus RRP is in most cases more expensive than the equivalent (and better) VW Golf, which to me is madness as many people in this country don't like haggling at all.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I think it's down to companies being run by accountants - as a previous poster says, it's about profit margins. If the 'input' price rises at all, some bright spark insists that the 'output' price must also rise to ensure that the margin is maintained.

It'll end in tears!

Comment

Sell at a loss and make up for it on volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  In BMW's case they seem to be discounting heavily back down to the prices they raised them from. The sort of trick Currys et al do. Ford similarly, yet now the Focus RRP is in most cases more expensive than the equivalent (and better) VW Golf, which to me is madness as many people in this country don't like haggling at all.
                  That's what Volvo did in the early 1990s.

A recent comparison* with BMW prices on the mainland concluded that UK prices had yet to catch up with the devaluation of the pound.

*in the interests of honest reporting, said comparison done down the pub
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                    Sell at a loss and make up for it on volume.
                    No, That's privatisation
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X