• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IS this right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IS this right?

Agents call to say that if I dont opt out that they will have to draw up a new contract as Ive opted in.

Does that sound right?

Mailman

What has right got to do with it? Who's "right" are you talking about?

Comment

Does it sound right that a new contract has to be drawn up for a relationship that has effetively not changed? Thats the RIGHT Im asking about.

Mailman

Comment

Re: .

no.

By default you are opted in so if you do nothing then you are opted in with your existing contract.

However if they wish to renegotiate your contract you are of course willing to discuss it.

Comment

Yes...thats what I thought. All though the conversation that I listened in on this morning the agent made it very clear that a new contract would have to be drawn up...which I thought was bull pucky!

Mailman

Comment

Re: Is this right

Have a quick google and a read of the act.
            You are 'In' if you've not opted out.
            Have fun with your agent.
            A good phrase to start with might be:
            'This call is being recorded for security and training purposes'.

Comment

Re: Is this right

mail the agent and ask them to confirm that they are insisting on a contract change if you are opted in, ask for a copy of the proposed contract for your appraisal.

once you have caught your fly then remind them of the rules and ask for 20% rise.

Comment

New @#%$

Yes. They can do this as far as I know.

Happened to me a little while back, had no real effect whatsoever.

Comment

Re: New @#%$

they cannot coerce a worker to opt out. If you fail to opt out then your contract remains unchanged, if they want to change it then they need to get their cheque book out.

Comment

Re: New @#%$

Doesn't affect contracts which are in place prior to July 6th.

Explain to the agency that if you opt-out you lose the potential to get an extra 10% from the client (splitting the agency margin and going direct) so if they require this you want a 20% increase.

Then go to the client and advise him that the agency wish to renegotiate the contract and as you are opted-in you would like to discuss going direct as your contract will be over in a couple of days

Sit back and wait for the fur to fly.

Comment

Working...
                    X