• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some financial questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some financial questions

Hi there:

Mrs BB and I had the inaugural finance meeting last night.

We can up with some questions which I thought some kind soul would have an answer for, so here goes:
    1. Moving home (not first time buyer) what costs should we factor in
    2. If we buy a £400K house with need of renovation (say £50K) can we borrow this on the mortgage?
    3. We want to set up a meeting with an IFA. How do we source one who doesn't just want to sell stuff and will give us really good advice.
    4. We want to get a new credit card with rewards (airmiles, cashback etc.) and put all of our transactions through it. Has anyone got suggestions and where do we do research?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Do you want one of us to wipe your arse as well?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Do you want one of us to wipe your arse as well?
      Saucy guru now is it.

Was that you last chat up line??

It hasn't worked.

Now flame some other thread please.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Have you tried digging around on moneysavingexpert.com?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
          Hi there:

Mrs BB and I had the inaugural finance meeting last night.

We can up with some questions which I thought some kind soul would have an answer for, so here goes:
          1. Moving home (not first time buyer) what costs should we factor in
          2. If we buy a £400K house with need of renovation (say £50K) can we borrow this on the mortgage?
          3. We want to set up a meeting with an IFA. How do we source one who doesn't just want to sell stuff and will give us really good advice.
          4. We want to get a new credit card with rewards (airmiles, cashback etc.) and put all of our transactions through it. Has anyone got suggestions and where do we do research?
          1) Google gave me this

2) Yes, provided you qualify for a £450 000 mortgage

3) Personal recommendations are probably the best bet. Alternatively do your own research

4) I would start with determining where the bulk of your spend is and then see which cards would help the most. Personally I use the BA Amex card.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
            Have you tried digging around on moneysavingexpert.com?
            Sure will, this was my first (but not my only) port of call.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              1) Google gave me this

2) Yes, provided you qualify for a £450 000 mortgage

3) Personal recommendations are probably the best bet. Alternatively do your own research

4) I would start with determining where the bulk of your spend is and then see which cards would help the most. Personally I use the BA Amex card.
              Thank you

Comment

1) Stamp duty, sols fees (buy and sell - £500), moving fees (£2000 or less)

2) Dep on value of house, otherwise it's unsecured loan for you...

3) Nothing to recommend here, I do it myself (rarely)

4) Amex charge card is ideal for us. Platinum costs £350 a year, but has trav insurance for entire family, up to 5 supp cards + other benefits. BA amex is also a good alternative.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working lunch are doing best cards today too...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
                    [*]We want to get a new credit card with rewards (airmiles, cashback etc.) and put all of our transactions through it. Has anyone got suggestions and where do we do research?[/LIST]
                    I would avoid airmiles and go with an M&S or supermarket of choice one. I don't use CCards regularly myself but a mate books all his business travel on his M&S card so his food shopping if basically free.

Airmiles never save you as much as you'd hope as you still have to pay the tax on flights, which is a bit of a crippler IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                    X