• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1970s-style rationing as National Grid cuts off gas to factories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1970s-style rationing as National Grid cuts off gas to factories

Look on the bright side: that is usually a sign that a Labour government is coming to an end

What a load of ******* twaddle - no doubt written by people who can't remember the 70s

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      no doubt written by people who can't remember the 70s
      It's the job of the Liebor Govt to remind people about it, I really do hope their party will be disbanded and all leadership will be on the streets (in this weather) or in jails (without heating).

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        It's the job of the Liebor Govt to remind people about it, I really do hope their party will be disbanded and all leadership will be on the streets (in this weather) or in jails (without heating).
        You can blame the party all you like, but never forget who put them there in the first place. Voters.

They won't make that mistake again for another decade or so, I hope.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          You can blame the party all you like, but never forget who put them there in the first place. Voters.

Hope in vain. Oh yes, the New Lie'll be re-elected. The country just lurvs them.

It's the Wellingtons, they can't run away. Baa.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

By the end of the next decade that government will be just as well regarded as this one!

Incidentally who owns this "Julius Ceasar" sockpuppet?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Brutus

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                By the end of the next decade that government will be just as well regarded as this one!

Spartacus.

Are you using your real name? Why should I?

Comment

Originally posted by Julius Caesar View Post
                  Look on the bright side: that is usually a sign that a Labour government is coming to an end
                  Power cuts in 1970s bring down government. A Conservative government.

Especially damaging to the government's credibility were the two miners' strikes of 1972 and 1974, the latter of which resulted in much of the country's industry working a Three-Day Week in an attempt to conserve energy. The National Union of Mineworkers won its case but the energy shortages and the resulting breakdown of domestic consensus contributed to the eventual downfall of his government.
                  Still there isn't a mining industry anymore, so our domestic power supply should be ok?
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                    Still there isn't a mining industry anymore, so our domestic power supply should be ok?
                    anyone recall the request for the nation to switch off their lights at a set time in support of the miners...think they were all being dumped in the mad dash for gas generation

bonus point for getting the year correct
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X