• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do different agents charge a client the same ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do different agents charge a client the same ?

For example , there is a medium-to-large Client who I know is working with at least two different agencies to fill a contractor spot. The agencies are Comp Features ( or futures ) and one other major one.

I was contacted by both these Agents and one is offering 250 the other one 350 GBP per day.

This is not a penny pinching client so I assume this client has a fixed contractor cost being advertised to agents and the agents just send CV's in but the rate is the same for whoever gets it, right ?

Originally posted by newblood View Post
    This is not a penny pinching client so I assume this client has a fixed contractor cost
    I doubt your assumption. Usually the agents lead the clients on price (just like if you were buying a car, you wouldn't have a fixed cost but you'd look round the dealerships). The £350 one probably went in first with the idea of supplying good quality candidates. The £250 probably then came along and said "we can do much cheaper than that!".

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      I doubt your assumption. Usually the agents lead the clients on price (just like if you were buying a car, you wouldn't have a fixed cost but you'd look round the dealerships). The £350 one probably went in first with the idea of supplying good quality candidates. The £250 probably then came along and said "we can do much cheaper than that!".
      In your example each dealership will have a contract/ franchise
      with the car manufacturer and it is likely that the margin will be the same for all franchises.

What I am asking here is for confirmation about what generally the process is and to me it seems:

Big Client chooses pay say 400 GBP /day and creates a job spec. All this goes to multiple agents. Considering the competition in UK it is very unlikely that Agent B' tactic would be to contact the client and tell them " Look we have this great guy for 370 GBP - that is stealer ! " . 30 GBP /day makes no difference for medium/larger companies. Also the permanent staff at the client will certainly not be that concerned with saving the owners' 30 gbp /day.

That is my general assumption. There certainly are cases where agents establish personal relationships with permanent staff at clients and some below the tables business becomes possible.

Comment

Whats the issue newblood? Curiosity or something more?
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

For example , there is a medium-to-large Client who I know is working with at least two different agencies to fill a contractor spot. The agencies are Comp Features ( or futures ) and one other major one.

I was contacted by both these Agents and one is offering 250 the other one 350 GBP per day.

This is not a penny pinching client so I assume this client has a fixed contractor cost being advertised to agents and the agents just send CV's in but the rate is the same for whoever gets it, right ?
          It doesnt matter though. If you get the job at 350 - 325 its a good rate. If you get the job at 250 - 275, its a job.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            Whats the issue newblood? Curiosity or something more?
            I have an interview with the client through the low paying agent. I was just wondering if I secured the interview with this client through one agent, could I call the high rate agent and try to get the contract through them.

I am not expecting an answer for this , just wondering what complications might arise if I proceeded with my devious plan. ( I am really doubtful that this last sentence is grammatically correct )
            Last edited by newblood; 7 January 2010, 20:10.

Comment

That would be asking for trouble, even if the big-money agent has been authorised by the client which might not be the case. You'd have more luck just raising your price with your current agent to somewhere between the two.

Comment

not tried it but if offered you could call the higher paying agent and find out if he is authorised and what margin he is taking. Then use that info to convince the other agent to up the rate.

Obviously you need leverage so get another offer if you can
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

30 GBP /day makes no difference for medium/larger companies. Also the permanent staff at the client will certainly not be that concerned with saving the owners' 30 gbp /day.
                  upto a point yes. If the big co is looking for 10 contractors then 30 a day is a big saving.

Also there is a budget. If the budget if for 400 per day and the chance to get someone for 370 a day comes up there is the possibility of being able to keep someone for longer within the same budget.
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                  X