• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This has been puzzling me all day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has been puzzling me all day

Was woken up this morning at 7am with the loo flushing, took a few seconds to remember that girlie's away and nobody else in the house. Second thought was burst pipe so dived out of bed and into the loo where the cistern was filling having just been flushed.

No obvious reason why just very weird. How can a loo flush itself?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Was woken up this morning at 7am with the loo flushing, took a few seconds to remember that girlie's away and nobody else in the house. Second thought was burst pipe so dived out of bed and into the loo where the cistern was filling having just been flushed.

No obvious reason why just very weird. How can a loo flush itself?
    It cannot - dreaming? ghost? you are Wilmslow and made it up?

Comment

There's a tramp living in the loft.

Comment

Maybe you are in a wrong house?

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
          It cannot - dreaming? ghost? you are Wilmslow and made it up?
          No, not making this up or dreaming / sleep walking. Genuinely baffled as to how this could happen. I even lifted the cistern cover to check for ice buildup or anything else that might be wrong but all looked fine.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

a) During the night the cold water in the cistern contracted and resulted in the cistern having to be topped up in a trickle. Once the heating came on (a hour before your alarm was due to go off) this heated the house including the water in the cistern making it expand. Eventually it triggered the overflow-prevention-autoflush. Which I just invented.

b) When you went in the night, you didn't flush properly and the cistern had been syphoning all night. Eventually it had to go one way or the other: fill up faster than it was syphoning and stop - or fill up slower than it was syphoning resulting in the float dropping and allowing the syphon to run faster and finish the flush properly. Which it did.

c) The girlie's NOT away you gormless wazzock! That's next week!

d) You dreamed the whole thing as a consequence of the cheese-topped kebab you took to bed.

e) You were still pissed from the night before.

f) You are a somnambulist.

g) It was aliens.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              a) During the night the cold water in the cistern contracted and resulted in the cistern having to be topped up in a trickle. Once the heating came on (a hour before your alarm was due to go off) this heated the house including the water in the cistern making it expand. Eventually it triggered the overflow-prevention-autoflush. Which I just invented.

b) When you went in the night, you didn't flush properly and the cistern had been syphoning all night. Eventually it had to go one way or the other: fill up faster than it was syphoning and stop - or fill up slower than it was syphoning resulting in the float dropping and allowing the syphon to run faster and finish the flush properly. Which it did.

c) The girlie's NOT away you gormless wazzock! That's next week!

d) You dreamed the whole thing as a consequence of the cheese-topped kebab you took to bed.

e) You were still pissed from the night before.

f) You are a somnambulist.

g) It was aliens.
              Heating was on all night including the take the skin off yer hand heated towel rail.

g) It was aliens
              Me, me, me...

Comment

This can happen if the ball cock can't close the mains valve off completely. This can be caused by a sticking handle or a bit of grit that has found its way into the valve. It could also be a valve seal that's perished.

With the weather at the moment it could be that the cistern is iced up. The odds are that it was doing this since the last flush of the night.

The toilet won't flood, it'll just fill up and empty until the problem is corrected (just like urinals in gents - same principle).
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The tramp in the loft theory sounds good to me
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    This can happen if the ball cock can't close the mains valve off completely. This can be caused by a sticking handle or a bit of grit that has found its way into the valve. It could also be a valve seal that's perished.

With the weather at the moment it could be that the cistern is iced up. The odds are that it was doing this since the last flush of the night.

The toilet won't flood, it'll just fill up and empty until the problem is corrected (just like urinals in gents - same principle).
                    Sounds likely, been looking at plumbing sites that say something similar. Have to say though I've had a good look at it but can't see anything wrong, even put some food colouring into the cistern to see if water is leaking into the bowl but nothing. Definitley no ice buildup.

Maybe just a one off or that damned tramp.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X