• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spin, spin, spinnity spindoctory.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spin, spin, spinnity spindoctory.

From here of all places.

more than 75% of contractors said they invoiced for at least three of the year’s four quarters. Moreover, more than a third of all the contractors who nominated said they were not personally affected by the recession, suggesting that their downtime in 2009 was negligible.
    = over 20% of contractors did not invoice for over three months of 2009; over half were personally effected by the recession.

That does NOT suggest a negligible effect.

But whether CUK contractors found 2009 difficult – 14 per cent only billed for half of the year <snip> 11 per cent of the total respondents who say they only submitted invoices for just one of the year’s four quarters.
    So 25% were out of a gig for half the year or longer.

A funny sort of "negligible".

Presumably, ContractorUK needs to hype up contracting as part of its marketing, and thereby pretend there isn't really a problem here, but that doesn't stop such spindoctory being a load of bollocks.

The reality is: the market is stuffed. Contracting is currently high risk and low return. The government is making things worse. It is not looking good for 2010.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    The reality is: the market is stuffed. Contracting is currently high risk and low return. The government is making things worse. It is not looking good for 2010.
    WHS. The article seemed like a work of fiction.

Comment

I read it as for 1/3rd of the contractors the impact was negligible.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

A few months ago some so-called independent marketing outfit was nagging me to do a phone survey, which I kept postponing.

When I finally relented, to get them off my back, one of the first few questions went "When the recovery starts at the end of this year, ...". I declined to continue at that point.

I'm very wary of these supposed "surveys". It's obvious most seem to have some kind of agenda, which may not be to our advantage.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          I read it as for 1/3rd of the contractors the impact was negligible.
          Who cares about the other two thirds?
          I'm beginning to see how revolutions start
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            WHS. The article seemed like a work of fiction.
            Indeed - the article claims that testing was one of the areas least impacted by the collapse!

Comment

The reason I am so sodding cross about this, is that the article is likely to be quoted elsewhere as a press release would.

"ContractorUK surveyed its members and they said the effect of the recession was negligible on them"

whereas that does not seem to be what the numbers are saying.

Thanks, CUK. We can now expect that to be added to the pile of arguments for hating contractors, and removed from the pile of reasons for doing something about visas and Intra Company Transfers.

Thanks. Thanks for the great disservice.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
              X