• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV "no gaps" -vs- On the bench.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV "no gaps" -vs- On the bench.

Just interested in the consensus here. I've been on the bench since Aug, and at the moment my CV lists the last role as ending Aug.

I've been mulling over how to fill the gap. I could just say bench working to present day but that seems weak.

Any thoughts? What has worked for you?

Put YourLtdCo as your current employer with the period Sep - Dec 2009. Put under that ANYTHING you can think of that you have been doing.

Edit: Thank you SY01 for that idea. It was a damn good one.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 8 January 2010, 13:33. Reason: Giving credit where it is due.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I've put my Plan B on my c.v. for the last 6 months. Which is true, because that's what I've been doing.

Of course I could make up anything I liked and say I'd been doing it.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I have a 6 month gap on mine and it didn't affect my ability to get contracts last year. However, if you want your CV to be seamless, whatever you do, don't stretch out your last contract to fill in the gap.

I have seen this on two CV's of people I've worked with, I was asked to review them when ClientoCo was looking for more contractors, i was asked if their CV was correct and I answered honestly. So in the bin they went.
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

you just have to recalibrate the cv don't you, shuffle things around a bit sorted

Milan.

Comment

Just 'justify' the text.

HTH

Comment

Hmm, maybe I'm asking the wrong question.

My CV is 100% true. Sure there is a spin on things, but everything is verifiable.

If I'm competing with a load of others who are economical with the truth, maybe I need to get on level pegging? Or, state on my cv that it's all true?

Comment

Originally posted by CalmEddie View Post
                My CV is 100% true.
                So is mine.

Sure there is a spin on things, but everything is verifiable.
                Of course: remove the irrelevant and emphasize the skills relevant to roles you want.

If I'm competing with a load of others who are economical with the truth, maybe I need to get on level pegging?
                Now there is a moral / ethical question that has come up on here before. There are those who say "my family comes first, I will tell any lie to maintain their standard of living" and then there's those of us who get scathing abuse for disagreeing with that.

Your answer must be your decision.

Or, state on my cv that it's all true?
                Sadly, the mark of a liar is: "Trust me, I wouldn't lie to you".
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  Put YourLtdCo as your current employer with the period Sep - Dec 2009. Put under that ANYTHING you can think of that you have been doing.

Edit: Thank you SY01 for that idea. It was a damn good one.
                  I am doing that , however an agent will eventually ask you when did your last contract finish. And here you have to lie or not lie. I choose to ... well, you know.

Comment

I had an 8 month gap on mine, when I went for an interview, I didn't even get asked about it.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X