• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contactless payment cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contactless payment cards

MOBILE TELCO Orange announced a tie-up with Barclaycard today that will see the pair give their customers a contactless payment card.

Judging by the accompanying marketing blather this means that rather than take your card out of your wallet and insert it into some kind of slot, Orange spendaholics will only have to take it out and wave it in the direction of the relevant cashier and paypoint. Presumably this will only save seconds off a transaction, but it looks likely to also help shoppers to fall afoul of payment card skimmers and other under-the-radar ID theft scams.
    so what happens if you wave it around too many times do you end up with multiple transactions?
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

if your card is consistently broadcasting its details in the vain hope of finding soemthing to pay for does this not mean it is less and not more secure??

or do you need to 'press a button' to broadcast the details - and if you do does this not mean that it could be skimmed by anyone near by??

not really sure what the whole point of these things is.

Comment

It's obviously to be discouraged if it leads to behaviour like this.

P.S. Can anyone see the bloke actually getting anything for his money in that ad?
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        if your card is consistently broadcasting its details in the vain hope of finding soemthing to pay for does this not mean it is less and not more secure??

or do you need to 'press a button' to broadcast the details - and if you do does this not mean that it could be skimmed by anyone near by??

Ever used an Oyster card? It's the same thing.

The card contains a passive RFID chip. When in sufficiently close proximity to an RFID reader, the chip is activated, receiving power by induction. When removed, the chip returns to the unpowered state.

Barclays have been doing a combined Oyster-and-payment card since 2007 IIRC, so this isn't some kind of new technology - the only difference is that it will be billed via your mobile account rather than your Oyster account.

Comment

I don't really get the point either unless it's an attempt to speed up paying by card compared to chip and pin.

I don't see how it could be a secure system in any way.

I tend to pay cash for everything under 20 quid so I doubt I'd ever see any advantage to it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            I don't really get the point either unless it's an attempt to speed up paying by card compared to chip and pin.

I don't see how it could be a secure system in any way.

I tend to pay cash for everything under 20 quid so I doubt I'd ever see any advantage to it myself.
            It's so you don't have to carry cash - you can only spend up to £10 on the Barclaycard in one hit anyway & I think there's a daily limit too.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'm sure the designers have thought of this. There are some very clever people, in academia as well as industry, who make a living designing secure payment systems.
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Ever used an Oyster card? It's the same thing.

The card contains a passive RFID chip. When in sufficiently close proximity to an RFID reader, the chip is activated, receiving power by induction. When removed, the chip returns to the unpowered state.

Barclays have been doing a combined Oyster-and-payment card since 2007 IIRC, so this isn't some kind of new technology - the only difference is that it will be billed via your mobile account rather than your Oyster account.
                <cough> Oyster card cracks
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  I'm sure the designers have thought of this. There are some very clever people, in academia as well as industry, who make a living designing secure payment systems.
                  I am sure there are

Equally there are some very clever people in academia as well as industry who make a living trying to crack these secure payment systems.

I am not really against it or for it but it just seems like a solution without a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    It's so you don't have to carry cash - you can only spend up to £10 on the Barclaycard in one hit anyway & I think there's a daily limit too.
                    bit of a flaw there though isn't there!!
                    the only two benefits I can see is you might need to carry slightly less cash but the good one is shops that use can process your transaction pronto, PDQ, grease lightning and you're outta there.

hasn't this been around for blinking ages?

Comment

Working...
                    X