• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rear wheel drive on snow/ice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel drive on snow/ice

The only road out of where I live is a steep hill covered in snow/ice. It's been an absolute nightmare getting out in my old merc auto estate.

I have read that the following could improve traction with RWD. Anyone tried either of these with any success?

a) deflating rear tyres
    b) loading the boot eg. with paving stones

Thanks
    DR

4WD all the way
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

well anything which increase the road/tyre contact area will increase grip so both of the methods you suggest would work.

Comment

I found hiring an X6 solved the problem.

RWD was totally useless in snow and ice.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          The only road out of where I live is a steep hill covered in snow/ice. It's been an absolute nightmare getting out in my old merc auto estate.

I have read that the following could improve traction with RWD. Anyone tried either of these with any success?

a) deflating rear tyres
          b) loading the boot eg. with paving stones

Thanks
          DR
          Why not buy snow chains?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I found hiring an X6 solved the problem.

RWD was totally useless in snow and ice.
            No so! I had a Sierra that was RWD. 'Kin awesome in the snow.

Couldn't hold a straight line for toffee, but it was awesome fun.

HTH
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Jus drive in reverse.

Another great idea brought to you from MaCheapMota.com
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                RWD are loads of fun in snow and ice.

FTFY - as long as there are no solid objects to impede your fun...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Driving a RWD car backwards is not like driving FWD forwards, there's still less weight over the driven wheels and the reverse gear not ideal. Reversing with people sat in the boot might work but the same would help going fowards also.

Yes, reducing the tyre pressures will help, but not by much if the tyres have really stiff sidewalls. Seeing as it's an estate it probably has all-seasons or at least non-sports orientated tyres so yes reducing the tyre pressure will help as the tyres won't have such stiff sidewalls. But pump them back up again quickly afterwards or you risk damaging the tyres if you lower the pressure too much
                  Yes, paving stones or people sat in the boot temporary will help if you just have one icy stretch to get past.

Another option is to buy some winter tyres to help in the future in such condtions, I've just purchased some myself and expect the car to be better on snow/ice than a non-winter tyred 4WD once fitted. I used high performance summer tyres (worse than all-seasons on snow) and that was an experience.

Another thing that might help is to disable the traction control. Sometimes, depending on the car used and the tyres, the best grip might be with the wheels spinning more than what the traction control will allow.Ie, if traction control kicks in at 15% slip but ultimate traction onsnow with the car and tyres fitted is at 25% slip then you'll never reach ultimate traction with it left enabled.
                  Last edited by SuperZ; 8 January 2010, 19:24.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Jus drive in reverse.

Another great idea brought to you from MaCheapMota.com
                    I beleive that is only for FWD.

Tip. Buy two cheap rubber chain-link mats. Tie the mats to the rear bumper on a long tether. When you get stuck place the mats under the rear wheels. Once you get going the mats are dragged along so there is no need to stop getting up a hill.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X