• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How close are you to retirement?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How close are you to retirement?

Yes, I'm retired
    1.79%
    Yes, I could retire now, but choose not to
    8.93%
    No, but I'm on track to retire early
    23.21%
    No, but I'll be able to retire at normal retirement age
    12.50%
    No, I'll be working until I'm dead
    46.43%
    Who cares? AndyW and his spawn will ensure I live the high life forever
    7.14%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Toolpusher; 3 June 2012, 16:04.

Tried early retirement, Tried part time working on early retirement.

Gave up on early retirement due to excessive boredom (losing the will to live)

Back working full time as a permy
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher
      A serious question for you, Mr. D, if I may.....

When you decided to retire the first time, did you encounter any psychological issues when it came to actually spending the money you'd taken so many years to save?
      I didn't like living on a budget and thinking "This has to last". Boredom is more of an issue, and you start to feel useless.
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        I have an urge to run away & join the Foreign Legion.
        What, get a job in England?

Comment

For me it is a case of being increasingly choosy about where and when you work as the warchest/retirement fund increases and you get older. To retire fully you need a hell of a fund or to be very old. Going perm would be bottom of my options list

My calculations have been blown a little by reviewing how much we spent last year as a family inc 2 kids. More than I thought

Comment

I could have retired at 50 : but then I had kids + divorce. I reckon I will be lucky to retire at 70.

I dont regret the kids : worth every penny + more. But I wish my ex had died. Prefrably something slow+painful.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I dont regret the kids : worth every penny + more. But I wish my ex had died. Prefrably something slow+painful.
              And that's the woman you once loved enough to marry. Ain't life crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                Back working full time as a permy
                Then why hasn't your login been revoked
                Last edited by centurian; 10 January 2010, 13:27.

Comment

I'm 58 and firmly in the (Will Have To) Work Till I Die camp. So firmly in fact, that I wonder from time to time whether it wouldn't be better to give up any pretence at saving, and just have some fun while I still can. Then be poor, or even dead. With the current plan, I may just be poor for a few years, then dead.

I cannot help wondering how much a career in IT, contracting or not, is worth, if so many of us are in that boat. For example, quite a lot of my school friends became teachers. They seemed not to be as well-off as I at first thought I was, but when I look at them, not only are about half of them retired already and the other half more or less ready and well-prepared to retire, but in the meantime I don't seem to have had better houses or cars than them, and they had lots of time off where I had to work hard for all the time off I enjoyed (or, as in last year, have it enforced when I didn't have the money or the choice to enjoy it as I would want). And those who really wanted to travel have done so, either in long breaks, sabbaticals, or foreign teaching work.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
                    I'm 58 and firmly in the (Will Have To) Work Till I Die camp. So firmly in fact, that I wonder from time to time whether it wouldn't be better to give up any pretence at saving, and just have some fun while I still can. Then be poor, or even dead.
                    How long is your Bucket List and how far are you from completing it?

Comment

Working...
                    X