• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC DVDs: FFS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC DVDs: FFS

Two things really annoy me about DVDs of BBC programmes. Given that these faults in interaction design are present on DVDs that have been produced under licence from the BBC by companies such as 2entertain (now defunct, along with Woolworths, of which it was a subsidiary), I can only assume that these are the result of corporate guidelines. What I can't understand is the aberrant thinking behind such guidelines; perhaps somebody here can enlighten me.

Irritations in increasing order of irritation:
    1. When a BBC DVD is inserted into the player, it inevitably defaults to the "Play all episodes" option. Why? I myself have never, ever wanted this option. Normally I want to play an episode or two, but I can't imagine sitting through (for example) the entire first series of Yes, Minister in one unbroken session. I can see that there might be occasions when such an option is useful, but I doubt they are frequent. So why make the default option one that will only ever be used by a tiny proportion of users, and then only under rare circumstances? Why not make the individual episode selection option the default, with "Play all episodes" as a further option?

2. Whilst at that default menu screen, the damn thing insists on playing a loop of a fragment of the theme music to the show - well, usually it's that; The Office plays a background murmur of office noises, which is a slight improvement. Again, why? If I stick the DVD of series one of Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? or The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin into the DVD player, and then nip off to the kitchen to get a beer while the stuff about not playing it on oil rigs is going by, what possible reason could there be for me to want to have a thirty-second snippet of the theme music looping endlessly when, as soon as I switch to the episode selection menu and select the episode I want, I'm going to hear the theme music anyway? And if it's one of those rare occasions when irritation 1 might make sense, such as having a bunch of friends round to watch The Office in one solid block, surely the time when you're making sure the dips are sorted out and what have you before the "Play all episodes" option is selected will be time they use to chat to each other? Why the fsck would they want a thirty-second sound loop blasting out while they're waiting for you to dig out the rosé?

I could go into further depth (such as, why don't they put the second chapter marker at the point where the title sequence moves into the actual programme, rather than putting it about ninety seconds into the first scene in the middle of a line of dialogue) but those two are sufficiently baffling to provide much food for thought and, perchance, discussion

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    What I can't understand is the aberrant thinking behind such guidelines; perhaps somebody here can enlighten me.
    Video recorders = consumer electronics.

Therefore, interface crap.

Marketing: "DVD is same as VHS, let's not confuse the consumer".

Therefore, same interface.

1. Video => Play All by default.

Management: "But where's the ValueAdd in DVD?"
    Technical: "Err, it works like a music CD. We could play sound during the copyright message."
    Management: "Make it so. But ensure it doesn't cost us anything."

2. CD => "you like the programme, so you'll LOVE the free theme music"

I hope you didn't want a satisfactory explanation, because there probably isn't one.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 9 January 2010, 03:42.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

It really irritates you that much?

Probably the lowest thing on my list to get worked up about TBH.

If that's the only thing upsetting me in life I'd consider myself a happy chappy.

Comment

NF, most of us have just about worked out the stop and go buttons on the remote.

This really should have been posted in Technical on a Geek forum.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          NF, most of us have just about worked out the stop and go buttons on the remote.

This really should have been posted in Technical on a Geek forum.
          Naw, I get Mr P to do that
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            Naw, I get Mr P to do that
            Quite right too. Using the Remote Control is Man's Work.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Quite right too. Using the Remote Control is Man's Work.
              We can't have the little lovelies taxing their brains now can we?

Womens brains aren't built for technical stuff. Just childmindin, cookin, cleanin and and seksual stuff innit
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

The only thing that irritates me about DVDs is naff quality clasps in some cases that don't readily release the DVD when lightly pressed, especially as it must be so easy to manufacture cases with sturdy practical clasps that work well. But sometimes one has to press so hard and tug at the DVD there must be a risk of damaging it.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  The only thing that irritates me about DVDs is naff quality clasps in some cases that don't readily release the DVD when lightly pressed, especially as it must be so easy to manufacture cases with sturdy practical clasps that work well. But sometimes one has to press so hard and tug at the DVD there must be a risk of damaging it.
                  I know just what you mean. Sometimes you end up bending the disc to an alarming degree by pulling on it before it'll let go.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    And don't get me started on CD jewel cases... I think it's Amazon/Play policy to send a broken one every time, either the retaining circle has broken into little pieces allowing the disk to float around and get scratched or one of the hinges has snapped off.

For a product thats sold a billion gazillion thats one... sorry two major design faults.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X