• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buildings getting cold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buildings getting cold

Owing to the recent boiler outage the house was evacuated and no heating was on for 15 hours or so.

The heating has been on since 12, and yet the house has still got a chill to it. I recall this happening before during the cold weather when I had to evacuate our house (different one) owing to wiring faults.

It took around two days to get the cold "out of the bricks" and get the house "proper" warm again.

Anyone experience this phenomenen before?

Not to worry, I have installed Glenlivet central heating.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Owing to the recent boiler outage the house was evacuated and no heating was on for 15 hours or so.

The heating has been on since 12, and yet the house has still got a chill to it. I recall this happening before during the cold weather when I had to evacuate our house (different one) owing to wiring faults.

It took around two days to get the cold "out of the bricks" and get the house "proper" warm again.

Did the boiler outage include a burst pipe? If not you'll have that to contend with as well.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Did the boiler outage include a burst pipe? If not you'll have that to contend with as well.
      Luckily enough, no. Frozen condensation pipe. It causes boiler lock out (ignition failure - F1 code on gloworm boilers)

I knew exactly what to do, googe it a bit then post on here.

RichardCranium explained how to thaw a pipe, and I followed his instructions. Good job.

Comment

Yes, no worries. I rented a 4-storey Victorian house with some mates for a couple of years. It was empty for about a week one Christmas and it took about 2 days to get properly warm again.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

At the moment we have the heating on 24/7. That should help cause a bit of global warming.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            At the moment we have the heating on 24/7. That should help cause a bit of global warming.
            that and tomorrow your roast dinner farts

Comment

yes this happens, some office buildings have the heating off at weekends are and take all day Monday to heat up again!

I have read somewhere that heating should not be turned off completely in cold weather, lower the temperature so it does not run so often but will use less energy to heat up when you turn the thermostat back up again.

That's what we do anyway, helps prevent damp / condensation too.
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Actually no, it's more efficient to have it on all the time with a thermostat than having it on a timer.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  yes this happens, some office buildings have the heating off at weekends are and take all day Monday to heat up again!
                  That's one of the reasons many long distance cyclists in Denmark don't cycle in Monday mornings: the showers are cold. They use that morning to take fresh kit for the rest of the week.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                  X