• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man arrested after one of his staff sends email with 'do as you likey' (pikey) in it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man arrested after one of his staff sends email with 'do as you likey' (pikey) in it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/6959...ven-write.html

Paul Osmond, a worker at an IT company, sent an email from his work PC to the council, passing comment (as requested by the council) on a planning appeal to allow a house that had been illegally put up by a gipsy on an area of (formerly) Outstanding Natural Beauty, immediately adjacent to the site of the Battle of Hastings, to remain.

The council noted that the email (which was sent to the council, not the gipsy in question) included the phrase " “It’s the “do as you likey” attitude that I am against”" and sent it to the police. The 'racially aggravated'-ometer went off in police HQ, and they dropped all the murder cases, burglaries, etc., and called in their IT bods to trace the email. It was traced to an IT company, and the cops went charging in and locked up the owner for four hours, confiscating his computers, took his DNA (will be held forever), before finding it wasn't him that sent the email, so they arrested the man that did do it instead.

He was released on bail and was eventually not charged......

Oh well, next time my house gets burgled I know how to get the to come - call 999 and say 'My house is being burgled by a pikey'. They'll send round a full squad of officers immediately - to arrest me for racist.

Ah ha, 'Likey' rhymes with 'Pikey'. Took me reading the article to work out what the fuss was about.

Actually, I think this has little to do with the email. Consider it was sent August, and the plod didn't move until November. Someone just wanted to have a good look at his machines and an opportunity 'created' itself. Suspect reality is there's a competitor business with some links into the Council & Plod who wanted a leg up and give the guy a good scare. Think Masons. Which is the most usual reason I've seen for these kind of apparently spurious events.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Workers at Nike must be quaking in their trainers...

Hmm, by committing such an obvious act of thoughtcrime and demonstrating doublespeak in an auditable way, he has clearly played into the hands of our masters in the inner party the thought police at the ministry of truth.

It would appear that the inventors of newspeak and spinners of doublespeak, new labour, need to get Big Brother Obama to hop into airforce one across to airstrip one pdq to sort out the proles.

We will now have two minutes hate, and then relax with a nice bottle of soma-artois on special offer this week...

Can't say we weren't warned!

)c:
      Last edited by Halcyon; 10 January 2010, 09:00. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Rother District Council not Likey Likey coz it sounds like Pikey?
        I think that the council officer concerned should get on his Bikey and take a Hikey.

Oops!

Waits patiently for the police to batter his door down

This pathetic PC crowd need a good kicking, the majority of so called Pikeys, do Not pay taxes on their earnings, yet have more rights than the tax payers of this country.

I think we need a revolution, Get the BNP Nazi crowd in for a four year stretch to sort these pathetic whimperers out.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

There is nothing racist about the word pikey.

It is a term for thieving and ill-behaved sh*ts that live in caravans and mobile homes, whatever their race or creed.

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
            It was traced to an IT company, and the cops went charging in and locked up the owner for four hours, confiscating his computers, took his DNA (will be held forever), before finding it wasn't him that sent the email, so they arrested the man that did do it instead.
            So much for the 'if you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear' argument.

Lessons to be leaned. Have access legal representation prearranged i.e. already have a solicitor they you have made contact with and knows your business. Never let the police into your home or business, make them get a warrant. (Be careful about the encryption as that is an offence on it's own.) Never say anything once detained. Always have an escape plan.

This country is very scary.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              Make them get a warrant.
              They hardly need one now. That only happens on US TV shows.

In the UK, if you are arrested for an offence, then the police have the right to go into your home without a warrant.

PS. If this guy got arrested for something like that, then on that basis, Martin Brundle would expect to be hanged for what he said a few years ago in front of millions live on ITV F1
              Last edited by centurian; 10 January 2010, 13:12.

Comment

I use the word pikey all the time - the problem with not working at a client's office for over 7 years means that I lose track of what words or phrases are now Verboten in office parlance.

Is pretty ridiculous: one media company I worked at, ordering a black coffee raised a few eyebrows it was so analy tightarsed.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  So much for the 'if you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear' argument.
                  But he has done something wrong: he has allowed a PC in his company to be used for something that might give offence.

Ah, you didn't think that was a crime? Oh dear.

Or, pace Threaded, he has come into competition with someone with influence. That has always been a crime.

Lunatics running asylum, time to emigrate, etc etc
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
                    But he has done something wrong: he has allowed a PC in his company to be used for something that might give offence.

Ah, you didn't think that was a crime? Oh dear.
                    You'd better keep clear of my twitter stream and my blog then.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X