• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the car's esp system a hinderance in the snow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the car's esp system a hinderance in the snow

morning all,

another 15cms of snow this morning

left the pathfinder with the mrs and took the passat to the airport

for the journey from the house to the motorway had to switch of the ESP as the car wouldn't climb the hills in the snow with the ESP on

why's that ?

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    morning all,

another 15cms of snow this morning

left the pathfinder with the mrs and took the passat to the airport

for the journey from the house to the motorway had to switch of the ESP as the car wouldn't climb the hills in the snow with the ESP on

why's that ?

Milan.
    Think about what the ESP does and figure it out for yourself!

Comment

Winston,

firstly, happy new year and may you have many more of them

secondly, wrt technology if it's not .Net I'm not interested

for the benefit of the clergy it is useful to know, based upon solid experience if you got snow turn off the ESP in the car :-)

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        Winston,

firstly, happy new year and may you have many more of them

secondly, wrt technology if it's not .Net I'm not interested

for the benefit of the clergy it is useful to know, based upon solid experience if you got snow turn off the ESP in the car :-)

Milan.
        Happy New Year to you too!

ESP detects differences in the relative speeds of all of the wheels.

Some advanced ESP systems will brake individual wheels that are spinning to transfer more power to the wheel that has the grip. More simple(cheaper) ESP systems just reduce the amount of power going to the drive wheels to try and improve the grip.

Guess which one you have...

Comment

Snow clogs up the mind-channels and blocks the thought-waves.

Comment

hmmm

guess it's the cheaper one

the more expensive one sounds like traction control if the passat had that it would be fine

you are 100% correct though, the the ESP in the passat the thing basically comes to a halt and will not move

Milan.

Comment

i hired a box standard golf over new year to go up to the highlands, in the heavier icier snow the esp literally did cut power to all wheels, in snow in a straight line or if your dug in good a proper turn ESP off, if your going round bends then keep it turned on..

see here for details of bends and ESP

Chef
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

On various cars and motorbikes over the years I've added switches and/or altered the programming so I can switch the blessed things off. They're usually OK for the average driver, and I'm a long way from being the best driver in the world, but I can out-brake most ABS' on variable road surfaces... and BMW's system for both the loud and quite pedals, OMG, is it tulip or what!
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  On various cars and motorbikes over the years I've added switches and/or altered the programming so I can switch the blessed things off. They're usually OK for the average driver, and I'm a long way from being the best driver in the world, but I can out-brake most ABS' on variable road surfaces... and BMW's system for both the loud and quite pedals, OMG, is it tulip or what!
                  That reminds me, always carry a liberal supply of nice warm bull crap in your boot to spread on the roads.

Comment

On a loose surface a car with ABS will take longer to stop than a car without.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X