• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cable thefts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable thefts

Had a 300ft section of cable cut and removed from site on Friday evening - bloody copper thieves.....except it was fibre optic they took, scrap value approx £0. Where do these people learn their trade?
    A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
    Had a 300ft section of cable cut and removed from site on Friday evening - bloody copper thieves.....except it was fibre optic they took, scrap value approx £0. Where do these people learn their trade?
    Aha hahaha ha. ha. Even the thieves aren't what they used to be. This would never have happened under the Tories.

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The Derby - Leeds train journey was virtually unusable a few years ago because of cabling thefts. It used to happen weekly and the trains would be delayed for hours.

Not sure if that situation has improved...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        This would never have happened under the Tories.
        Indeed. Wasn't it Thatcher who forbidden BT to put fiber into the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Indeed. Wasn't it Thatcher who forbidden BT to put fiber into the ground?
          Eh? There's fibre cabling buried all over the place.

Oh, and it's fibre, FFS, fibre. Not fiber.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Eh? There's fibre cabling buried all over the place.

Oh, and it's fibre, FFS, fibre. Not fiber.
            WHS

Comment

The cable thieves are told to go out and steal cable: there'll be a few quid in it for them, or some debt will be reduced a bit.

They don't care if it's the correct type of cable or not, they still get paid.

The chap who commissioned them, he might well end up out of pocket, but next time he sends them out they'll maybe get the right stuff, and he'll be ahead again.

HTH
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Eh? There's fibre cabling buried all over the place. Oh, and it's fibre, FFS, fibre. Not fiber.
                Last mile is copper.

You need to apply for a job as a spelling teacher.

Comment

Hopefully this will make the thieves take stock of their lives and perhaps realise that thieving is not for them - perhaps some sort of 'total internal reflection' is called for

yeah yeah I know its a crap geeky joke - I just couldn't help myself
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Well, I hope I have helped in their life re-evaluation in some small part. Just had a quote for a grand to replace the missing section and re-joint it.
                    A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Working...
                    X