• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice plz from those who work away.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice plz from those who work away.

Currently live in DimPrawnVille but since the wife is about to be made redundant have no ties to this god forsaken tulip hole.

The one upside is that I can commute to London albeit an hour on the train and tube journey the other end.

Been lucky for the last 6 months as WFH perm but now have a Wharf contract and the 2 hour each way is a bummer.

So considering moving back "home" into the country, nice barn conversion or such like but of course that will mean Mon-Thurs (poss Friday) away in a hotel.

So am I mad giving up a London commutable location, home every evening, for a better location, trading a 3-4 night hotel?

I'm sure plenty do it, would you advise me not to?

Originally posted by Manic View Post
    Currently live in DimPrawnVille but since the wife is about to be made redundant have no ties to this god forsaken tulip hole.

The one upside is that I can commute to London albeit an hour on the train and tube journey the other end.

Been lucky for the last 6 months as WFH perm but now have a Wharf contract and the 2 hour each way is a bummer.

So considering moving back "home" into the country, nice barn conversion or such like but of course that will mean Mon-Thurs (poss Friday) away in a hotel.

So am I mad giving up a London commutable location, home every evening, for a better location, trading a 3-4 night hotel?

Do you have any kids? If no then move. You can go out drinking/whoring every night.

HTH

Comment

lol, I do have kids.

Comment

How does the wife feel about the prospect of you being away from home 3-4 nights a week?

Comment

Well she'd rather I wasn't but understand I have to earn the money. The upside is a better location, and perhaps a less tired hubby come the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
            Depends how much you like you home comforts.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

are you a man or a mouse ?
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Hi,
                I moved down to the west country from London in 2002.

I worked down at the docklands for 15 months over 2006/8. I can say is that staying in London is pointless as you will spend all the additional cash you make avoiding your house mates or crap hotel room.

The commute really is not that bad providing you set some ground rules with the end client. You can get a good hour or more of work done on the train as 3G works most of the way (but use a screen protector to make sure no one reads your mails over your shoulder!) If you can get the client to agree to do this, by the time you rock into the office at about 10.00 you are ahead of most of the locals as you actually started work at 7.00 and took a 40 minute break while on the underground. Do the same thing in the afternoon and you actually get quite a productive day (as you get to work while being protected from office interuptions).

But either way understand this:

Once you are down here there are _NO_ local jobs because clients / agencies think that £300 for a £500 job is a great rate. (but you will need 500 to pay for a barn these days) I could actually upsize if I came back to London.

While your wife probably earns an Ok rate in London once you end up down here the wages probably wont cover the nanny fees.

If you commute your kids won't see you during the week, as you will be out before they are up and in after they go to bed. If you stay away you will come home shagged and stinking of booze because you will find sitting in digs soul destroying after a week or so and you end up out every night...

It nearly cost me my marrage and Im due my second tour soon. Its amazing how soon the wifes understanding will move onto the next need (Like "We never see you anymore..." ) and forget how the mortgage gets paid...

Comment

I did it for 10 years solid while the kids were growing up, we needed the money. I've done it on and off the last six years too while contracting. TBH, I have mixed feelings about it. In my case it was needs must for the money, I earned about double my (then permie) salary by working away for those 10 years.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I've been all over England and Wales for contracts. For one I lived away during thee week but the Missus & I realised very quickly that we didn't get married to sleep apart, and I don't earn good money to live in a room on my own all week.

So the Missus ditched her career, started her own business that she can do online, and comes with me.

But one of the rules we do have is that we'll never live or work inside the M25 again; the quality of life is too low.

You have to decide for yourself what is important: making loads of wedge and building up a comfortable pension & warchest, or reading the kids their bedtime stories.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X