• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trial by jury on its way out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trial by jury on its way out?

I thought the government brought in the option to run a trial without a jury as part of its anti-terrorism changes.

It hasn't taken long for that to get 'expanded'. Link.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

But they can afford coppers to be stood outside the several empty houses of his majesty Tone.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Clarkson wrote a good argument about why trial-by-jury is not exactly a big deal. I don't have time to find it, maybe someone else knows it? Will post later if I remember.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        I thought the government brought in the option to run a trial without a jury as part of its anti-terrorism changes.
        Yeah - replaced by Trial By Meedja - they just leak the details to the tabloids instead now. Much cheaper and guarantees a "safer" verdict.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Clarkson wrote a good argument about why trial-by-jury is not exactly a big deal. I don't have time to find it, maybe someone else knows it? Will post later if I remember.
          No, but it is a big deal when government introduces changes as part of anti-terrorism legislation, and then applies them more and more widely.
          Step outside posh boy

Comment

Do away with juries and shoot bag snatchers on sight. This discourages criminals and soon there will be none left as only 10% of innocent people get killed. With a telescopic rifle muggers can be taken out from roof-top 0.5 kilometres away. People like me should be special martial who pass sanity test and have certificate licence allowing to kill without trial. I would leave country is this sane policy is not implemented and whoever banned pepper spray should also be shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Do away with juries and shoot bag snatchers on sight. This discourages criminals and soon there will be none left as only 10% of innocent people get killed. With a telescopic rifle muggers can be taken out from roof-top 0.5 kilometres away. People like me should be special martial who pass sanity test and have certificate licence allowing to kill without trial. I would leave country is this sane policy is not implemented and whoever banned pepper spray should also be shot.
              FFS, they should include sockie management tools in this board - always get wrong logins

Comment

No, the Criminal Justice Act 2003 provided for trial without a jury in two circumstances: complex fraud trials, and cases where there is a significant risk of jury tampering. In this case, a previous trial was halted because of jury tampering.

It hasn't taken long for that to get 'expanded'. Link.
                Nope, not expanded at all: this is precisely the kind of case envisaged in the Act.

As for the rights and wrongs of the matter, Marcel Berlins, lawyer and journalist, had an interesting think piece about it in The Grauniad yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  No, the Criminal Justice Act 2003 provided for trial without a jury in two circumstances: complex fraud trials, and cases where there is a significant risk of jury tampering. In this case, a previous trial was halted because of jury tampering.
                  Damn good job I didn't go into a 1,500 word rant about it.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Didn't this happen about a year ago? Or is this just the start of the case that they announced then? I'm sure there was the same debate on this forum.

I don't understand why you couldn't still have a jury, but a secret jury at a secret location watching video of the trial. That has to be much better than just leaving it up to a judge.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X