• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment portfolio

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment portfolio

Hi All,

Okay so after yesterdays post on pension, I now want to start squirelling money away.

I was wondering if you have any good tips for investment products.

I am of course going to max out the cash ISA allowance but what else. I need to invest more.

Should I also max the shares portion of the ISA, and what is the best way to do this (at low risk to start) through trackers etc.

Also with regards to property, is this a good investment for the long run (20 years). I keep hearing conflicting stories, and one analyst yesterday suggested that property will fall to 50% of its current value over the next 5-10 years.

What is the boards view.

And Thanks to those who answer.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

For starter's have a look at the Motley Fool's High Yield Portfolio idea.

Comment

I hold half my money in isa or cash account, no investments.

the other half I spend on exiting adventure holidays.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        I hold half my money in isa or cash account, no investments.

the other half I spend on exiting adventure holidays.

Don't you spend any on entering adventure holidays?
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

From what I've read:

Precious metals
          Tinned food
          Guns
          Ammunition
          Land

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
            For starter's have a look at the Motley Fool's High Yield Portfolio idea.
            That's from 2006, it looks like they've given up since then.

My SIPP is following the High Yield idea. I had some riskier stuff in there but sold it if it made a 50% profit, which it did , but then went on to be what would of been 100%+ profits

BB, you need to ease your way into it. Start reading stuff on Motley Fool or put in 'beginners shares investment guide' into google, this one looks OK http://www.investmentguide.co.uk/shares0.htm

The funds on offer are OK but they can take you to the cleaners with charges, have a look at www.h-l.co.uk, there are others offering similar discounts and dealing setup.

Property !? Who knows. I'd say that is a punt on UK plc, whereas the FTSE100 is more focussed on how the rest of the world is doing. I'm steering well clear of property other than the roof over my head, but who knows !?!

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              Don't you spend any on entering adventure holidays?

Hows about this -combine the following

salt shortage
              Gold is expensive
              looming water shortages

Invest in SEAWATER.

It contains lots of salt for snowy conditions and for fish and chips, 6kg of gold per cubic kilometer, and it contains loads of water as well.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                That's from 2006, it looks like they've given up since then.
                That's because Stephen Bland, alias TMFPyad, who invented it and wrote about it, left the Motley Fool about then. With no more articles, they did a summary and left it there.

You can find more on the Motley Fool discussion boards, where there is one for the HYP. IMHO the discussion boards are the only remaining good bit about the MF, the rest having been dumbed down to become less about investing and more a sort of Daily Mail which-credit-card personal finance section.

That being not unrelated to why Stephen Bland is no longer there, of course. He occasionally contributes to Money Week, and run his own subscription "Dividend Letter" based on the HYP (to which I do not subscribe)

But please read TMFPyad's original articles on the HYP, then glance at the Fool discussion boards. It is important to realise that you do not need constant articles on the High Yield Portfolio, because it is a method, not a particular selection, and because an essential part of it is NOT to trade shares once bought. It's important to understand the method, not just take someone's selection of shares (though if that's what you want, you'll find it on the discussion boards).
                Step outside posh boy

Comment

Okay it seems I might need financial advice.

I have been reading the money pages and Motley Fool but I am no expert.

In terms of Financial Advice I would like it from someone who is an expert and not a glorified salesman who will be hell bent on just pedalling his products.

I would like to buy their advice on a no sell/no commission basis. Is this a good idea and if so is it possible and where would I find this advisor.
                  Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
                    In terms of Financial Advice I would like it from someone who is an expert and not a glorified salesman who will be hell bent on just pedalling his products.

I'd go the DIY route but ...........

Stick to conservatively managed funds following the high yield approach for now and keep reading. Is there not a 'Dummys Guide' to investing, the yellow books, I'd certainly make sure you know the basics before going to any 'experts'.

Comment

Working...
                    X