• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TechEd and so on...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TechEd and so on...

Does anyone here go to industry conferences such as TechEd? Anyone got any tips for getting in on the cheap?

I attend conferences such as @media, d.construct and, when I can afford it, others relating to my primary field of endeavour.

As far as I know the best way to get in for nowt is to be one of the speakers. I really should get around to that some time

As for getting in on the cheap: no idea. I like the fact that I've paid for myself though. One often sits next to permies who spend all their time scribbling notes, because they've got to submit a report to their boss justifying the expense of sending them there.

I sit back, relax, and enjoy, secure in the knowledge that if the whole thing turns out to be of no value it doesn't matter, because these things are my equivalent of sitting on the beach somewhere in the Med

I usually greatly enjoy the presentations, but catching up with my fellow conference junkies (many of whom are usually also presenting) during the breaks/pre-party/mid-party/after-party is the best bit in many ways

Oh, and to avoid the supplementary question I can feel hovering in the air: yes, I have got gigs as a result of conversations in the pub at the end of the day. Two of the best gigs I've ever had, actually

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

As far as I know the best way to get in for nowt is to be one of the speakers. I really should get around to that some time
      Absolutely, look out for the call for papers, there's usually a theme to conferences and they'll accept you if you can put a cogent 30 minute presentation together.

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to be accepted as a speaker. All conferences are keen/desperate for new blood.

As for getting in on the cheap: no idea. I like the fact that I've paid for myself though. One often sits next to permies who spend all their time scribbling notes, because they've got to submit a report to their boss justifying the expense of sending them there.

I sit back, relax, and enjoy, secure in the knowledge that if the whole thing turns out to be of no value it doesn't matter, because these things are my equivalent of sitting on the beach somewhere in the Med
      WHS.

I usually greatly enjoy the presentations, but catching up with my fellow conference junkies (many of whom are usually also presenting) during the breaks/pre-party/mid-party/after-party is the best bit in many ways

Oh, and to avoid the supplementary question I can feel hovering in the air: yes, I have got gigs as a result of conversations in the pub at the end of the day. Two of the best gigs I've ever had, actually
      WHS +1

The 'meetings' at the bar are as important as the conference itself. I've got my name in one book of the Service Lifecycle books (and work) as a direct result of a Service Management conference....
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yeah, I've presented at a few conferences for companies I have worked with. Just answered a call for papers for another one last week. These have all been very tied to companies I am working with though.

Tried to get on an ITIL conference a while back but was rejected.

Planned to go to the free SQL Bytes conference this year but working away thwarted that.

Anyone got any other good conferences they go to/want to go to? I mainly do systems management and security but I'm interested in most IT topics.

My favourite conference blag was TechEd 2005 in Amsterdam. Was supposed to attend a user group meeting for MOM on, I thought, the Monday pre-conference. Turned up at the venue and nobody had heard of the meeting and my ticket was only supposed to let me in for the main conference Tuesday-Friday not the pre-conference day which costs extra.

Spend 20 minutes earnestly explaining how I had to get to this meeting to a rep there. He eventually relented and just waved me past security with a day badge and told me good luck finding the meeting.

Turned out the meeting was actually the Sunday. I had missed it completely.... but I enjoyed sitting in on one of the pre-conference tracks for free.

Comment

Definitely.

Those permies will automatically accord you some respect if you have paid your own way in.

It's the ultimate in networking, really. I like the bar session where everyone swaps war stories. You can learn a lot from the collective wisdom, and contribute too.

That's how I got the confidence to take the leap into freelance work in the first place. When voluntary redundancy came along it was just a matter of letting everyone know that I was available. You are much more likely to get direct work this way.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
            Does anyone here go to industry conferences such as TechEd? Anyone got any tips for getting in on the cheap?
            Could you get a job working for one of the catering outlets at the venue?

Would the panel consider this option to be a 'Plan B'?

Comment

Working...
            X