• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snow Takes Idio^H^H^H^H Motorists By Surprise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow Takes Idio^H^H^H^H Motorists By Surprise

...so they went out in it anyway and got trapped. Muppets

Er....two hills which could and should have been ploughed and gritted were not. This is the second time in less than a year this has happened even though the authorities were well aware of the predicted snow. When most of those trapped set off for work yesterday in that area just south of Exeter there was not a drop of snow on the ground. You really ought to do a bit more research before you put your Daily Mail hat on.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I've just got back from walking the Missus to the bus stop. There was no way I was taking the car.

We have had an amusing - and scary - half an hour watching fekkin idiots driving like the twats they are.

The A road has not been gritted - that doesn't help - so I would have thought people would take more care.

4WDs within 6 feet of the bumper of the car in front while the car in front is 1 or 2 seconds behind the car in front of that.

Twats with a small patch of windscreen cleared and nothing else, driving leaning over the steering wheel so they can see out.

Twats with their lights on full beam or with fog lights on - good idea since we're in a 30 mph built up area with street lights on and visibility down to about 2 miles, FFS.

Twats driving down the middle of the road - what is that all about?

FFS, it's not like this is the first snow of the year.

Our car has not moved since before New Year. Given the fekkin idiots out there, it is going to continue to stay where it is.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Er....two hills which could and should have been ploughed and gritted were not. This is the second time in less than a year this has happened even though the authorities were well aware of the predicted snow. When most of those trapped set off for work yesterday in that area just south of Exeter there was not a drop of snow on the ground. You really ought to do a bit more research before you put your Daily Mail hat on.
        I'm with NF on this.

They're muppets.

I'm barely taking an interest in the weather since I'm stuck at home, but the Missus and I decided early yesterday afternoon that she would be taking the bus to the station this morning because of the weather forecasts. Anyone who got stuck last night because they were surprised it snowed is a muppet.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Currently severe warnings across most of england and wales including london:

Code:
          Region affected  	Warning type  	Valid from  	Valid to
          Wales 	Heavy Snow 	1600 Tue 12 	0900 Wed 13
          North West England 	Heavy Snow 	0240 Wed 13 	1800 Wed 13
          West Midlands 	Heavy Snow 	0240 Wed 13 	1800 Wed 13
          South West England 	Heavy Snow 	1650 Tue 12 	1000 Wed 13
          Heavy Snow 	0240 Wed 13 	1800 Wed 13
          Widespread Icy Roads 	0606 Wed 13 	1100 Wed 13
          London & South East England 	Heavy Snow 	0240 Wed 13 	1800 Wed 13
          Heavy Snow 	0431 Wed 13 	1800 Wed 13
          So should nobody in the south of england and wales go outside?

Comment

Same here, cars abandoned everywhere.
            Still snowing heavily, the snow plough went past at 6am which was a waste of time, as the bit (single lane) he ploughed is almost filled again, and there's no room for cars to pass if they do manage to get through, pointless!
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
              Currently severe warnings across most of England and Wales including London.

So should nobody in the south of England and Wales go outside?
              There's a bit of me thinking IT professionals should be dropping heavy hints / business cases / proposals at their ClientCo / employer about remote working / teleworking / flexible working and the health & safety / environmental / work:life balance benefits that would come of it.

With a little bit of thought and effort, it would reduce costs and increase productivity, FFS.

Comment

At the end of the M5 it becomes a 3-lane dual carriageway and carries on south. After about 2 miles, this road which serves South Devon/Torbay and Plymouth/Cornwall splits into 2 dual carriageways halfway up Telegraph/Haldon Hill. That is where this localised problem happened. There had been no snow on this hill at all that day until a forecasted heavy downfall in the mid afternoon. These are major trunk routes FFS. It would not have taken much organisation to have a couple of ploughs and gritters stationed there. With that the sheer weight of traffic would have kept this moving. But no! Typical Storeman Jobsworth Syndrome kicked in at the Council gritting depots. "It is in my stores to be stored, not to be issued just because someone might need it!!"
                Too busy following Central Government directives to hold salt and grit back in case we get heavy snow later in the month than to use the bleeding stuff when it is needed now!
                Caught the tail end of the tailbacks but as I was on overtime was not too worried. However that does not excuse their incompetence!
                There is no snow here again this morning. Should I just stay at home in case?
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

^ WHS

Snow was forecast after peeps got to work.
                  They have to get home so plan to put resources into keeping problem roads open.

We had 8" forecast over the weekend in the south but nothing turned up. should we all have stayed at home just in case?

Comment

What does ^H^H^H^H mean? Is it some reference to an antiquated bit of technology that only übergeeks would understand?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X